Privacy

Cool_Un_Cool

Why is it whenever i just want to be by myself I am some kind of a**hole freak? I constantly get this from my Mom.
Anyone else?

recluse

Extroverted people tend to not understand that some of us enjoy our own company. Being with people tires me out.

4seasons

Yeah...My mom is always telling me to "come out an sit with us"(her and my step dad). I'm just more conferable by myself. Even if i got 100% over my anxiety i think i'd still spend most of my time in my room while home.

princess_haru

recluse said:
Extroverted people tend to not understand that some of us enjoy our own company. Being with people tires me out.

Yes, totally! People exhaust me... having to be "on" all the time, paying attention to their constant talking when I'd rather just sink into my own thoughts and watch the clouds go by for a while. I do enjoy company sometimes and love an occasional good conversation, but I really value my time alone when I don't have to please anyone or feel self-conscious at all.

Extroverted people apparently gain their energy from being around other people - I can understand the concept but it's very hard for me to comprehend lol ...hey, maybe that's why extroverted people tire me out so much - they're busy re-charging their batteries from my energy stores! 8O

ghost_train

princess_haru said:
recluse said:

Yes, totally! People exhaust me... having to be "on" all the time, paying attention to their constant talking when I'd rather just sink into my own thoughts and watch the clouds go by for a while. I do enjoy company sometimes and love an occasional good conversation, but I really value my time alone when I don't have to please anyone or feel self-conscious at all.

Extroverted people apparently gain their energy from being around other people - I can understand the concept but it's very hard for me to comprehend lol ...hey, maybe that's why extroverted people tire me out so much - they're busy re-charging their batteries from my energy stores! 8O

Absolutely. I think it is the exhaustion factor of being around people that drives me to be alone. The degree to which this appiles depends on the company I'm in. When I'm with a small group of my close friends, I have no problem with this at all, and would rather be in their company -at that time- than on my own. However, when I am around people that I am not quite so comfortable with, it's a great strain to keep myself in their presence. I attribute this 'mental strain' to the demand being around relatively unfamiliar people places on both my conscious and subconscious. It's as though I'm always on edge- always assessing, calculating and reassessing the progress of any social interaction. it's goddamn draining.

Incidentally, this is somewhat backed up by a little experiment I did with myself about a year ago (relating to eye contact rather than conversation, but they all go hand in hand, innit): I went through about a week-long phase of forcing myself to maintain eye contact with people (especially women) when I was out and about (I mean how hard can it be right? I'm walking along the road, look up, catch someone's eye- why the hell do I always have to be the first to break the contact?). I would never allow myself to break eye contact with anyone- they had to be the ones to do it. I managed it, but at what cost? For me, it never seemed to get any easier- and on top of that, I found myself to be absolutely drained every evening. Maybe if I persist for long enough, my body will run out of adrenaline. I dunno.

I feel I've meandered slightly off track, so I'll stop now. (I'm tired)

princess_haru

ghost_train said:
It's as though I'm always on edge- always assessing, calculating and reassessing the progress of any social interaction. it's goddamn draining.

Yeah, I know that feeling *sigh* I'm always checking people's faces during a conversation to see whether there's any hint of derision in their expression, or whether they look as if they're lying to me. I'm not the most trusting person, lol.

ghost_train said:
Incidentally, this is somewhat backed up by a little experiment I did with myself about a year ago (relating to eye contact rather than conversation, but they all go hand in hand, innit): I went through about a week-long phase of forcing myself to maintain eye contact with people (especially women) when I was out and about (I mean how hard can it be right? I'm walking along the road, look up, catch someone's eye- why the hell do I always have to be the first to break the contact?).

I have a compulsion to glance at everyone I walk past just to check whether they're looking at me! If they are (and they're usually not) then I tend to give them a hard, defensive glare, especially if there's a group of them and I feel threatened.