Pre-existing conditions and health insurance

Pookah

So after I got my health insurance I decided to go get blood work done because I had been sitting on an old slip ordering tests for a while. I knew/know little about healthcare policies and such as I was on my parent's into my 20's (26 now.)

Anyway they denied the claim saying it was a pre-existing condition. If in the future I need more blood work or ultrasound or anything relating to this I will always be denied coverage and have to pay out of pocket? If so my understanding of health insurance just made me hate healthcare in the US much more. What is the point of paying for the insurance if it is only for new problems? What next is my social anxiety a pre-existing condition?

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Insurance laws and policies can get friggin complicated, but I have changed insurance before and kept coverage for my autoimmune condition.

I know it's really important that there was no gap in your coverage, like if you went straight from your parents' to your own. And also, most companies have some sort of policy that your pre-existing will be covered eventually, but it could be months or even years depending. If your SA has already been officially diagnosed, I'm pretty sure it counts as pre-existing too.

But stuff like this tends to confuse me.

Pookah

I think it may be something like a year under my plan. It is really annoying. They make it so hard for people to try to get medical care. :/

I'm screwed whenever I get health care again. First I have to be in remission for five years and even then I'm going to be paying crazy expenses for it. I can't even get any insurance right now but I'm still expected to go to regular follow-up appointments (which include blood tests every time I go and a CT scan every six months). I haven't had a follow-up since August 2009, and it makes me very nervous whenever I notice anything wrong with me in case it's come back.

I was insanely lucky to get sick when I did, because my insurance under my parents ran out the next year (I was twenty when I was diagnosed) and the insurance that I had (Tricare) covered everything. According to my bills from just one hospital, my insurance picked up a tab of over $600,000 dollars! That doesn't count the hospitalization that occurred before I went to that hospital or the follow-up appointments afterward.

Lorraine Manca

i know, arent health insurance companies sweet? i changed my health insurance and had to answer questions over the phone about my anxiety and depression i sure wanted to talk about that to monotone molly at blue cross blue shield. they were asking about going to the hopsital for suicide attempts, wonder how much of a hike that is in the insurance costs, get it right the first time or we'll charge you up the ass
i mean this all in good humor, i dont like it either

Pookah

I'm screwed whenever I get health care again. First I have to be in remission for five years and even then I'm going to be paying crazy expenses for it. I can't even get any insurance right now but I'm still expected to go to regular follow-up appointments (which include blood tests every time I go and a CT scan every six months). I haven't had a follow-up since August 2009, and it makes me very nervous whenever I notice anything wrong with me in case it's come back.

I was insanely lucky to get sick when I did, because my insurance under my parents ran out the next year (I was twenty when I was diagnosed) and the insurance that I had (Tricare) covered everything. According to my bills from just one hospital, my insurance picked up a tab of over $600,000 dollars! That doesn't count the hospitalization that occurred before I went to that hospital or the follow-up appointments afterward.

That just makes me really angry it isn't your fault you were sick why should you have to continuing paying for it the rest of your life?

Pookah

i know, arent health insurance companies sweet? i changed my health insurance and had to answer questions over the phone about my anxiety and depression i sure wanted to talk about that to monotone molly at blue cross blue shield. they were asking about going to the hopsital for suicide attempts, wonder how much of a hike that is in the insurance costs, get it right the first time or we'll charge you up the ass
i mean this all in good humor, i dont like it either

Yeaaah. I know we have good standard of care, advanced technology and trained doctors etc but if you have to be rich to benefit what is the use?