Performance Anxiety

jryden

I was going to write this in my own words but this post on another site has everything I wanted to say.

Do any of you have this problem at work? Maybe when you were being trained. I am so so scared of being trained. I come off as being stupid. But its so hard to think when someone is watching me.
I've worked for a family friend and she would give me simple directions and 10 seconds later, I couldn't remember what she said. I would over analyze a simple task and ask too many questions. I know I sounded stupid but it didnt sink it. IS THERE A SOLUTION/CURE, A WAY TO COPE WITH IT?

Some of the points that stood out for me:
"when I have to learn something on my own I can learn it very quickly but when I feel pressured or if I am being trained to do something, like for a job, it just takes me forever to learn something."

"People think I'm good at stuff because I can do well in school but in real life, I have a lot of problems because I'm slow and have a bad memory and can't multi-task"

"I tend to piss people off too because I'm quite analytical, and ask questions about things that they see as trivial/unimportant"

" I NEED to understand what it is I'm doing, and if I don't I'll go back to reinforce it. I don't like doing a half-assed job, because I'm kind of a perfectionist, and if I don't do something right I'll end up getting pissed at myself."

gustavofring

Yeah I have this too. Especially the overcomplicating things part. I also need things explained in broad lines. If there is a certain system that they explain, I need to know the bigger story and not just details. I also feel like I need to write everything down so that I can train at home. Also the nights before going to a new job I sleep really bad and this messes with my ability to concentrate as well.

A lot of trainers are truly bad or assume too much too I find. If you want employees not to f"ck up then do your job and make sure the employee feels truly comfortable and understands everything.

laure15

I agree with the op. I learn and do things best when I am by myself alone without anybody looking over my shoulder. But around people, I can mess up real bad. I remember making a phone call to my school and I spoke very well. But as soon as my sister came into the room, I messed up and started speaking in incoherent sentences.

In my first job as an office assistant, I felt uncomfortable working around people. I sat at the front desk and my supervisor sat diagonally behind me. Whenever I was doing something, I could feel her looking at me and it made me very nervous. I made several embarrassing mistakes so they had to let me go. If I was working by myself without anyone monitoring me, I think I would have done a better job.

jryden

I agree with the op. I learn and do things best when I am by myself alone without anybody looking over my shoulder. But around people, I can mess up real bad. I remember making a phone call to my school and I spoke very well. But as soon as my sister came into the room, I messed up and started speaking in incoherent sentences.

In my first job as an office assistant, I felt uncomfortable working around people. I sat at the front desk and my supervisor sat diagonally behind me. Whenever I was doing something, I could feel her looking at me and it made me very nervous. I made several embarrassing mistakes so they had to let me go. If I was working by myself without anyone monitoring me, I think I would have done a better job.

I cant make calls infront of ppl. I move to the next room. MY ex boss, that family friend, would make me call insurance companies while she was sitting there. I didn't even know what I was asking and that combined with anxiety, ughh.

Office assistant-Thats the area I've been looking in for a job and i am starting to think that its a bad idea.