Perfectionism?

BloodFury

Questions
  1. Perfectionism?
  2. Is this something related to OCD?
  3. Does anyone else have similar issues?
I implore you to read the sections below.

Grammar Perfectionism

Sometimes, I will reassure myself that I spelled things correctly. By doing so, I will Google the word to see if it is.
I don't do this often, because I usually spell things correctly. Even then, I will sometimes check just in case.

I get annoyed by people using improper grammar. I am not amazing at Grammar myself, but I have certain expectations of me and others.

I do not tell people or get angry when they use improper grammar, it just annoys me. I do not want them to be mad at me, so I just try to ignore it and live on.

It's just the fact that there are so many people doing it that makes me mad. Especially the people using abbreviations, like "cuz".

Object Perfectionism

I get angry if people make my or any ones cards bent. Such as, if someone starts mixing the cards and bends them,
I will tell them to stop and to not bend the cards... except in a more angry tone, nearly yelling at them.

The same thing goes for any papers that I have.

I do not keep my room clean. It is quite cluttered in my room.

Phoenixx

I get annoyed by people using improper grammar. I am not amazing at Grammar myself, but I have certain expectations of me and others.

I do not tell people or get angry when they use improper grammar, it just annoys me. I do not want them to be mad at me, so I just try to ignore it and live on.
^ I'm exactly like this too.

I get angry if people make my or any ones cards bent. Such as, if someone starts mixing the cards and bends them
^ I don't get angry so much as I just get annoyed. But I never tell them, like above, because I don't want them to be mad at me. Thus, I just try to ignore it and move on.

I can definitely be quite the perfectionist, as much as I hate to admit that. I've had people complain about me in the past too, so I tend to feel a little guilty of my motives and why I sometimes act the way I do with certain things. I believe perfectionism is usually related to OCD, but I don't think that's always the case. I think someone could still be a perfectionist without having OCD themselves. That's just my opinion though, I honestly don't know too much about OCD. I really don't think I have it though.

CZi

Questions
  1. Perfectionism?

Yes to both accounts! It is related to OCD, though it doesn't necessarily mean you have clinical OCD but share some of it's symptoms. Only a professional can make that diagnosis. I have perfectionist issues too though. Mine mostly has to do with self-image and my perception of it. I obsess over any imperfections and blemishes I have, and most likely see things WAAAY out of proportion. It's always been a major part of my Social Phobia/Anxiety and self-esteem. At points I went through periods where I would just isolate and hide because of it. As a result I'm relatively clean, but like you my room is cluttered and messy, but not dirty lol.

BloodFury

Thanks for the replies, I really do need to go to the doctors!

I just hate talking about personnel things like this to anyone.

To be truthful, I might not even be OCD... it's just me being a hypochondriac.

Yeah, I do it in German.
Rather accurate.

I always do this even in Spanish, no matter what lenguage I have to use at the moment.

ANNomaly

I definitely have object and grammar perfectionism, but not to the point where I'll declare war on someone if it happens. I'd say my object perfectionism is worse, though, which is probably why my family relies on me to lock down the house at night. There's a certain routine I follow when doing so. I tend to my area of the house first, then the kitchen, the living room, and then the front door. I check the doors and windows at least twice and arrange everything in a specific way. If someone comes down to get something, I can't help but grow irritated because they've toyed with what I believe to be the natural order LOL

awkwardamanda

It could be OCD. Or maybe you're just a perfectionist and nothing more. It could also be obsessive compulsive personality disorder. I kinda figure that's what I have. The two disorders have similarities but there are some subtle differences between them. People with OCPD tend to be perfectionists. They like to sort and order things. They are often stubborn and like things to be done their way. They also tend to be hoarders.

I have always been a perfectionist. Even when I was a kid, my printing had to be super neat. Sometimes it drives me crazy when people don't do things perfectly, or the way that I would. I like clothes to be folded just right. If my mom folds my laundry, I often redo it. It drives me nuts when a shirt is cut a little off grain and it's impossible to fold it symmetrically. For the most part, I try to use proper spelling and grammar, but a little slang is fine. I proofread and edit anything I write over and over until it's finally good enough. When I'm putting dishes into the dishwasher or cupboard, I try to keep similar items grouped as much as possible and I like certain things in certain spots. If I'm wrapping a gift, I have to make sure the paper is folded in evenly on each side. There are times when I can be a little more laid back too, or at least I pretend to be. Sometimes I like things to be sorted, while other times, I don't care so much. Depends on the situation, I guess. Sometimes I just have to let things go when something isn't perfect, or when someone else does something that doesn't meet my standards. I might not make a big deal of it, but it secretly irks the hell out of me.

I can definitely relate to not having a clean room. My bedroom looks a lot like some of the places you'd see on Hoarders. I have difficulty throwing things out sometimes. A lot of it is just plain clutter. When I do try to clean I try to do everything perfect but then it just takes so long and I don't get very far. Or sometimes I'll end up neatly folding a stack of shirts and then leaving it on top of a pile of clothes that have been tossed around because I couldn't find something. I like to try and make things organized, but it never works out that way. Plus a lot of it has to do with just being too tired, depressed, and unmotivated to clean. It's a complicated issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I really do need to go to the doctors!

I just hate talking about personnel things like this to anyone.

To be truthful, I might not even be OCD... it's just me being a hypochondriac.

Yeah, I do it in German.

0116.JPG

nothingtofear

I sometimes go to excessive lengths to make sure I'm using proper grammar and spelling properly but could care less how other people talk as long as their point is clear.

A bent card doesn't really bug me but I'm very much a perfectionist when it comes to the intentional development and application of skills.

I don't believe in absolute perfection. I think that anything can be better than it is and nothing is without flaw except when we're talking about theoretical concepts (like in math) which are the only examples of true perfection that I can think of and consider to be totally perfect. I do however believe that striving for perfection can be very useful and so the concept makes for a good ideological tool but if taken to the extreme, it could result in the rather insane desire to do the impossible.

BloodFury

They are often stubborn and like things to be done their way. They also tend to be hoarders.

I am a severely stubborn person.
I do like things done my way sometimes.

Another thing, I appreciate everyone using good grammar... it actually takes off on the frustration.

So I used Google, and I found this about hoarding.

1. Acquiring possessions compulsively - compulsive buying, or collecting free things.
  2. Saving all these possessions and never discarding.
  3. Not organizing and maintaining all the saved possessions.

I do about all of that, maybe one of the reasons my room is messy. :eek:

I have my little toys since I was nearly 5 and so. I don't think there is a time I EVER threw one of my stuffed animals away.

Not only that I would feel bad, I think they would too. I feel sad that they are unused anymore.

Last edited:

Dj SL

Questions
  1. Perfectionism?
I implore you to read the sections below.

Grammar Perfectionism

Sometimes, I will reassure myself that I spelled things correctly. By doing so, I will Google the word to see if it is.
I don't do this often, because I usually spell things correctly. Even then, I will sometimes check just in case.

It's just the fact that there are so many people doing it that makes me mad. Especially the people using abbreviations, like "cuz".

Object Perfectionism

I get angry if people make my or any ones cards bent. Such as, if someone starts mixing the cards and bends them,
I will tell them to stop and to not bend the cards... except in a more angry tone, nearly yelling at them.

The same thing goes for any papers that I have.

I do not keep my room clean. It is quite cluttered in my room.

Perfectionism is a sign of OCD.
Perfectionism will kill you.
What I read about your grammar and object perfectionisms, I don't think you are suffering for OCD.
I think you are angry at people for some reason that happened to you.
Honestly, I don't think this is OCD.

WeirdyMcGee

Ah--- I may be terribly inept at most things, so I apologize ahead of time for any improper grammar.

My sister is a perfectionist when it comes to most things.
For years, my mother has said that she is specific on how she wants everything because controlling how she does her work/her chores/places things in her home is her way of feeling that she has control in an overall chaotic life.
I think that makes sense.
I like to feel control over some things; which is why I clean.
I can control how clean my room is even if I can't control how rude people are to me. < one example, haha

Perfectionism is definitely linked to OCD as are many obsessive characteristics and phobias. All have to do with a struggle for control, I think.