People think I am a show off....why??

skas99

Hi everyone, Just wanted to seek some advice. I have been diagnosed with OCD and SA. I always feel like I am being watched. When ever I am around people I am afraid to say certain things because I am afraid of saying the wrong thing or doing the wrong thing. I always have to do the right thing when in front of everyone. I avoided social situations for a while. I never thought I was good enough for people in anyway. I was even isolated for a long time. One thing I am confused about is that people always call me a show off!! If I am walking or working around people they always say " Why are you walking like you are all bad for?'' I always get told things like that. I think because of the feeling that people are watching me that physically I come off like I am showing off when I am actually terrified inside. I wanted to know whether or not people have experienced this? I am superfocused on people to the point where it is hard to concentrate on other things. Its hard especially when I am driving, sort of like adhd. Sometimes in my head I tell myself that I am special and unique. But to be honest I hardly ever feel comfortable around people. I am a people pleaser and I have a fear of being rejected and never accepted. I just don't get it why people think I am a show off? Like I said, I think its because I feel like people are watching me so I can't help but come off like that? Any advice will be great. thanks everyone.

just wanna b normal

hahha this is nothing new to me! what i mean is im on the same boat! haha i know how you feel but sorry i dont have any advice but i know what you mean.:) especially everywhere i go! haha

Last edited:
Well you just answer your own question...... when you are self-conscience you will tend to freeze up and pay more attention for any "dangers". You should gradually come out of isolation because that is pretty much what is going to help you. No one is going to force you to do anything........so you decide what do you want.

READ THIS BOOK: Amazon.com: The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself (9781572245372): Michael A. Singer: Books

Forget all of the psychological / cbt/ positive thinking books.

JamesSmith

The last time i came out of isolation, I ended up even more depressed and wanted to kill myself for a while. I was out of isolation for more than a year, and I started to hate being around people more and more. I finally just realized i was more comfortable by myself. I don't like either situation, with people or without people, but at least without people is easier on me.

R3K

one of my coworkers and i joke around about this very thing actually. he's a gym buff and is always flexing or telling me about his workout routine. then we start theatrically doing the tough-guy walk, acting like we have to walk sideways through doors cause are arms are too big. it's all in good fun, but i think we both kind of have a bit of a "show-offy" posture like your friends/coworkers say you do. but we joke about it and it's actually a positive thing. telling you this probably doesn't help your situation... unless you could find a way to spin the alleged showing off that you're doing into a sort of comedy routine like we do.

being more realistic, i might say just roll with it and ignore what they're saying. the way we walk and the physical gestures we give are indicators of how we think, feel and believe. you're afraid of their opinions, and it shows in your posture/walk. forget how you look walking and work on how you deal with and apprehend people (work on the SA, basically) and the rest will sort itself out.

@JamesSmith: I go through periods of isolated depression and nervous exposure, back and forth like every week. it doesn't get any better each time i try to expose myself to society (coming out of my cave) but i can look back and say- hey about %50 of the time, at least, i'm not wallowing and going mad in my room. just being able to say that to myself is a tiny accomplishment. eventually i'll get to the point where it's easier to be with people than alone.

Last edited: