People don't have any respect for those who suffers SA

PurpleOne

I hate it when people want you to show them respect but in return they don’t really show you any. Especially if you have SA ::(:. It’s like since you're shy and quiet, they expect you to always be that way even when they hurt your feelings. To me it’s like they're taking advantage of you. Once you had enough of it and start to stand up for yourself, they get piss off (I guess b/c they're scared) at you. This happens to me from my family, friends and co workers plenty of times.

Rembrandt Broam

It's certainly true that if you allow yourself to be put upon by others, they come to expect it, and are resentful if you later stand up for yourself. That's one reason why, despite my SA, I don't allow people to take advantage of me in the workplace.

Liam17

With my SA i kinda get pushed over easy.

I don't stand up for myself, just let anything happen :/

I get what you mean.

They think oh he's quite, so he's weird and has no feelings. So if we do stuff to him, he won't get hurt.

Nah i just get depressed and I have self harmed once.

Minty

Thanks, but it happens all the time! My feelings get hurt easily because im a girl. You're a guy, so it must be different ::(:

Girls and guys are equally susceptible to getting their feelings hurt.
Just society discourages guys from expressing it.

JamesSmith

Thanks, but it happens all the time! My feelings get hurt easily because im a girl. You're a guy, so it must be different ::(:

Oh, wow. I can't believe you went there. If you think you have it bad as a girl with getting picked on, it's even worse as a guy. There is this unwritten rule that insulting a woman or hitting a woman is soooo much worse than doing those things to a guy. Not only that, but guys are expected by much of society to be "tough," and be able to take pain, criticism, never cry or show emotion. People are much more likely to make fun of a man for being shy because people have this idea that being shy is feminine. Believe me, I have been getting called a b----, p----, and a girl for my whole life. In fact, some guys at wal-mart today called me a p---- today as they walked by and laughed it up. Trust me, you don't want to be a guy with Social Anxiety Disorder.

Liam17

Oh, wow. I can't believe you went there. If you think you have it bad as a girl with getting picked on, it's even worse as a guy. There is this unwritten rule that insulting a woman or hitting a woman is soooo much worse than doing those things to a guy. Not only that, but guys are expected by much of society to be "tough," and be able to take pain, criticism, never cry or show emotion. People are much more likely to make fun of a man for being shy because people have this idea that being shy is feminine. Believe me, I have been getting called a b----, p----, and a girl for my whole life. In fact, some guys at wal-mart today called me a p---- today as they walked by and laughed it up. Trust me, you don't want to be a guy with Social Anxiety Disorder.

Well said :/

Liam17

Thanks. It seems like when I speak my mind like that over the web, many people tend to disagree with me.

What you said is 100% true. If i guy cry's you get bullied more for it. It's alright for girls to etc.

Also for women with sa, there more likely going to get a relationship, since guys have to do the 'chasing'.

We have to do so much more communication wise, than women.

JamesSmith

What you said is 100% true. If i guy cry's you get bullied more for it. It's alright for girls to etc.

Also for women with sa, there more likely going to get a relationship, since guys have to do the 'chasing'.

We have to do so much more communication wise, than women.

Yes! I have been searching for you, buddy. Finally, someone understands how society works. I think the best point you brought up here is the relationship thing. The fact that we have to do the chasing is the most least talked about thing in the world for how important it really is. It's hard enough for a guy who isn't very outgoing to chase women and make the first move, now imagine a guy with Social Anxiety Disorder trying to make the first move. I envy women. All they have to do is sit there and wait to be approached. If that's all we had to do, guys like me and you would have girlfriends right now probably. The hardest thing to do when trying to get a date is breaking the ice and making that first move. And society says men have to do that. So SAD men are pretty much screwed.

Liam17

Yes! I have been searching for you, buddy. Finally, someone understands how society works. I think the best point you brought up here is the relationship thing. The fact that we have to do the chasing is the most least talked about thing in the world for how important it really is. It's hard enough for a guy who isn't very outgoing to chase women and make the first move, now imagine a guy with Social Anxiety Disorder trying to make the first move. I envy women. All they have to do is sit there and wait to be approached. If that's all we had to do, guys like me and you would have girlfriends right now probably. The hardest thing to do when trying to get a date is breaking the ice and making that first move. And society says men have to do that. So SAD men are pretty much screwed.

However this is not all women, but if you went out tonight, 99% you'd have to start the conversation. Which was you said for guys like us, is pretty much impossible. While lets say a women with sa, i normal guy would go up to her, theres her chance.

While we have to in most cases. We're also meant to be 'tough' so lets say even if we got a normal girl, who's going to care about our feelings, society as you said, is portrait as guys having no feelings, just pulling women, and acting 'tough'. That my friend is what will get you a women

Although like you said, we're not like that, so we're screwed.

I like the fact when girls say they want a nice sensitive guy. Then they go out with a loud mouth prick, who cheats on them, and who's got no job or anything... It's like Yeah whatever, the quote nice guys finish last is a true quote.

You're absolutely right and that's the main reason I personally got in to many
"scuffles" with other guys. Also I'm "muscular" so people expect me to be THE GUY. It's hard to be assertive and not aggressive when people call you names. AH well.......:cool:

JamesSmith

However this is not all women, but if you went out tonight, 99% you'd have to start the conversation. Which was you said for guys like us, is pretty much impossible. While lets say a women with sa, i normal guy would go up to her, theres her chance.

While we have to in most cases. We're also meant to be 'tough' so lets say even if we got a normal girl, who's going to care about our feelings, society as you said, is portrait as guys having no feelings, just pulling women, and acting 'tough'. That my friend is what will get you a women

I like the fact when girls say they want a nice sensitive guy. Then they go out with a loud mouth prick, who cheats on them, and who's got no job or anything... It's like Yeah whatever, the quote nice guys finish last is a true quote.

This was an interesting post. First of all, I agree with most of it, and you brought up something that I haven't even pondered before. But let's talk about the "nice, sensitive guy" thing. I am a believer that women want a nice guy. I think that's where many men misunderstand women. They really don't want a mean guy, not many people male or female love a prick who disrespects everyone. So most women want a man who respects them and others.

But yeah, as for the loud-mouth prick guys, those guys have tons of success with women. It has nothing to do with the fact that they are pricks. Most women don't even like the fact that they are pricks. The only reason these type of guys flourish with women is because they are loud and outgoing. When you are loud and outgoing you have courage to speak to everyone....especially women. And when you make that first move, break the ice, and converse with women as much as possible it opens up the opportunity for a relationship. So as long as you are cocky or confident, you can do some serious work in the dating world.....no matter how much of a prick you are. And then you have guys like me who don't have the courage to talk to women that are left on their lonesome, my humble qualities and desire to love a woman is all wasted just cuz the prick guy had more courage than me and is on his way to cheating on the girl that he talks to. Nice guys don't finish last, nice guys are the best. It's the Social Anxiety Disorder guys that finish last.

PurpleOne

This is not an excuse, because this happens to me all the time. Well if you're a black female (guys please don’t get offended, I really need help on this issue) or black, people tend to use the stereotypes. People think that just because I am black I have to be loud and rude and love everything an average black person likes. Since I am a black female other black people think that I am weird just because I terminally shy. Everyone think that all black people are the same no matter what. WE ARE NOT THE SAME!!! My life was miserable when I was around my peers. When got in high school I decided to be around other race groups and pretty much my life was positive. I don’t dislike black people, but none of them will ever accept my unique personality.

Oh yeah I understand what you mean, but I bet you never had it worse then me

Rembrandt Broam

Yes! I have been searching for you, buddy. Finally, someone understands how society works. I think the best point you brought up here is the relationship thing. The fact that we have to do the chasing is the most least talked about thing in the world for how important it really is.

On the other hand, you get to choose who you chase, while a woman doesn't get to choose who chases her. What if you're a woman and you only get chased by losers and bums? What if (and yes, it does happen) you're a woman who doesn't get chased at all?

It's hard enough for a guy who isn't very outgoing to chase women and make the first move, now imagine a guy with Social Anxiety Disorder trying to make the first move. I envy women. All they have to do is sit there and wait to be approached.

And sometimes they wait and they wait and they wait...

Also, you're presuming that women go out and hang out waiting to be approached. What if you're a woman who, due to your social anxiety, doesn't go out very much?

If that's all we had to do, guys like me and you would have girlfriends right now probably. The hardest thing to do when trying to get a date is breaking the ice and making that first move. And society says men have to do that. So SAD men are pretty much screwed.

We're not screwed at all. If we were, none of us would ever be in relationships, which simply isn't the case.

JamesSmith

On the other hand, you get to choose who you chase, while a woman doesn't get to choose who chases her. What if you're a woman and you only get chased by losers and bums? What if (and yes, it does happen) you're a woman who doesn't get chased at all?

And sometimes they wait and they wait and they wait...

Also, you're presuming that women go out and hang out waiting to be approached. What if you're a woman who, due to your social anxiety, doesn't go out very much?

We're not screwed at all. If we were, none of us would ever be in relationships, which simply isn't the case.

Now is the time where I clean up what I wrote earlier. I kind of stereotyped a bit when I said that all women sit back and wait, because that isn't always the case. I would imagine that some outgoing women believe in making the first move so that the can pick who they want. What's horrible is that the dating world isn't balanced, which is a big complaint I have. What I mean by that is there shouldn't be one sex just dominating the first move like there is with men trying to hit on women 90% of the time. Both sexes want to be in relationships equally for the most part, yet the majority of women refuse to make that first move just because they know they can use men to do it for them. I think it's incredibly hypocritical and leaves men like me alone, possibly for the rest of my life. It makes zero sense considering women are such social creatures, even more social than men are.

Please don't give me the thing how women have to be chased by "losers and bums." Boo hoo. All they have to do is say no. This just proves that they have more options too. I would love if I had so many women hitting on me that I had to cancel out the "losers and bums."

Yes, I would assume that women go out into society. And yes, I get that some women have social anxiety, especially in these threads. But I also believe a woman's life w/ social anxiety is so much easier than a man's life with social anxiety. Haven't you noticed it's usually the men that get into bar fights? As I talked about earlier in this thread, society views hitting a woman as terribly wrong, but a man vs. man bar fight is classified as normal.

The last sentence i wrote was an overexaggeration and you caught me on that. You're right, men with SAD can get into relationships and we all aren't screwed. I was just pointing out how difficult we have it compared to your average joe.

Rembrandt Broam

Now is the time where I clean up what I wrote earlier. I kind of stereotyped a bit when I said that all women sit back and wait, because that isn't always the case. I would imagine that some outgoing women believe in making the first move so that the can pick who they want. What's horrible is that the dating world isn't balanced, which is a big complaint I have. What I mean by that is there shouldn't be one sex just dominating the first move like there is with men trying to hit on women 90% of the time. Both sexes want to be in relationships equally for the most part, yet the majority of women refuse to make that first move just because they know they can use men to do it for them. I think it's incredibly hypocritical and leaves men like me alone, possibly for the rest of my life. It makes zero sense considering women are such social creatures, even more social than men are.

You're right that it isn't fair, but even in 2011 society in general expects that men do the pursuing. The point I was making was that both sides have their positives and negatives. As the guy, you have the choice of who to approach and how many women you approach (which allows you to control the chances of getting a date) but the downside is that you have to put yourself out there and deal with the possibility of rejection.

Yes women can do the approaching, but even in this day and age they risk some men interpreting that as meaning they are either easy or desperate. It's far more socially acceptable for them to wait to be approached, but that means they can only pick from whoever approaches them.

Please don't give me the thing how women have to be chased by "losers and bums." Boo hoo. All they have to do is say no.

Which leaves them in exactly the same position that you are complaining that SAD men are in. No relationship.

This just proves that they have more options too. I would love if I had so many women hitting on me that I had to cancel out the "losers and bums."

But you're looking at it as if women get approached by a wide variety of guys. I'm sure some do, but a lot don't. Some women do not get approached at all. Ever. Others get approached by unsuitable men. There are guys who are on the lookout for timid women with low self-esteem. They are like predators and they know how to spot their prey. That's how women get trapped into bad relationships with abusive men.

Yes, I would assume that women go out into society. And yes, I get that some women have social anxiety, especially in these threads. But I also believe a woman's life w/ social anxiety is so much easier than a man's life with social anxiety.

Why would you assume that women with SA go out into society? Most guys with SA don't seem to, so why should women be any different? I disagree that a woman's life with SA is easier than a man's. I do think they each face different issues, but I don't think one gender has it harder or easier than the other.

Haven't you noticed it's usually the men that get into bar fights? As I talked about earlier in this thread, society views hitting a woman as terribly wrong, but a man vs. man bar fight is classified as normal.

I'm not really sure what bar fights have to do with it. I've never been in a bar fight, nor would I classify them as normal.

The last sentence i wrote was an overexaggeration and you caught me on that. You're right, men with SAD can get into relationships and we all aren't screwed. I was just pointing out how difficult we have it compared to your average joe.

Well if you're comparing the situation that SAD men face compared to that of non-SAD men, then I'd agree that non-SAD men have it easier, but then non-SAD people in general have it easier.

Why would you assume that women with SA go out into society? Most guys with SA don't seem to, so why should women be any different? I disagree that a woman's life with SA is easier than a man's. I do think they each face different issues, but I don't think one gender has it harder or easier than the other.

Well said- coming from a woman with SA who does not go out into society (except to work) and never gets chased. The problems for each sex may be slightly different, but comparable.