People don't get it!!

Tab

I posted something similar like this but now its kind of a different problem. My god damn mother and father keep yelling at me to go back to my old work. My old manager called me last thursday and left a message saying she wanted to talk to me. Anyway my mother keeps saying YOU BETTER GO THERE CUZ YOUR GETTING A JOB FOR THE SUMMER. Every time my parents see me that's all they say to me. It hate this so much, it doesnt help with my anxiety and i really dread working there again. Everytime I say I hated working there they say to me YA well we hate our jobs too but we do it. Nobody ****in gets it. My anxiety has been really bad the past couple days cuz of it and I'm avoiding going near my parents. I might go tomorrow to my old work and see what happens. I just hate how I have no support. I feel so useless and worthless and all I do is get yelled at. ::(::mad:

SickJoke

I just hate how I have no support.

They're giving you support by pushing you to do the right thing. Being forced to work, to be around people, is one of the best things that can happen to someone with SA. It's exposure. Sure it might suck, but if you go in with the right attitude you'll adjust and become comfortable with it.

TheNewZero

I understand Tab, I'm going through a similar problem with my parents. Getting a job has always been really stressful for me. Last summer I was in a job where my boss pushed me around and yelled at me a lot, which is making me even more scared to find one this year. But all my parents say is 'you need to find a job now', and continue to push me into getting one.

Maybe you can try compromising with your parents and getting a job that would be less stressful? Like SickJoke said, they are in a way pushing you to do the right thing. It may be the complete wrong way to do it, but I would worry about what's best for you. Hang in there, I know it sucks when your family doesn't support you.

Just out of curiosity, what does this job entail?

Jay Cataldo

They're giving you support by pushing you to do the right thing. Being forced to work, to be around people, is one of the best things that can happen to someone with SA. It's exposure. Sure it might suck, but if you go in with the right attitude you'll adjust and become comfortable with it.

I agree with SickJoke. But if you really hate this place, then why not just get hired somewhere else? If you really want your parents off your back, then you should be motivated to go find another job.

Edit: I posted this before reading Zero's response. Didn't mean to say the exact same thing. My bad.

Last edited:

Tab

Well I went back to the old work and I talked to my old manager and I said I'd go back. Now that I've actually gone back and talked to her I feel much better about the whole thing. I know I'll have a job for when school is done and I'll be in a good situation. I'm glad I did it and I realize I was worrying over nothing. :cool: Oh and NewZero incase your still wondering, its a job at the hardwear store in the garden section. Its really easy work but theres just those few customers who really get to you.

Sacrament

So what exactly would you consider to be support? Your parents saying "hey, anxiety and such, don't go; as a matter of fact, you don't have to leave the house for the rest of your life!"?

They're pushing you to do things, making sure you deal with your problems face-to-face.

mismeek

Ugh.. I have a hard time working with people.. I work in kennels at a vet clinic.. so I dont have to talk much.. But when i have to talk to the doctors I usually end up stuttering..XD lol