Paxil (Paroxetine)

Dj SL

I'm taking paxil; It's an anti depressant and makes you feel calm and relax. I didn't gain weight. It's not addictive and you will feel more confident. Paxil is good

Rembrandt Broam

Hi everyone. I had an appointment with a psychiatrist yesterday and she prescribed me Paxil (Paroxetine). She also said I should see a therapist and attend group therapy. So... Has anyone used Paxil or some other medication with the same active ingredient? I heard it makes you gain weight, is it true? Would you recommend it?

Like every drug, Paroxetine has possible side-effects but that doesn't mean it will definitely affect you. Some people suffer them, some don't. I know people who take it, and haven't gained weight but I've heard stories of others who say they did. I suppose it depends on each person's individual body chemistry and how that interacts with the drug. The only way you'll know is to try it. If it does have side-effects which you think outweigh the benefits the drug is giving you, you can always talk to your psychiatrist and ask her to prescribe something else.

Take Pills

I used to take it for a little bit, and I absolutely hated it. As far as the actual medication, it didn't seem to do anything for me, I felt exactly the same as I did when I wasn't taking it. I actually do think it made me gain a little weight, just like 15-20 pounds. What I think makes paxil so bad is that it has absolutely horrible withdrawal symptoms. It would make me so sick if I didn't have it for a couple of days, and I mean like REALLY sick. The medication itself didn't do anything for me, and the side effects were awful. It's different for everyone though.

^Yeah

For me it was great. I didn't gain weight with it, helped me a ton. But it does have some pretty nasty withdrawal symptoms... horrible depression and overall sadness... that only lasted like 3 or 4 days though... still not a nice experience :). I recommend it, but if you're going to take it, be ready to deal with some of the side-effects and to possibly be using it for a long time - if not, have the doctor help you stop taking it appropriately.

B

Beatrice

^Yeah

For me it was great. I didn't gain weight with it, helped me a ton. But it does have some pretty nasty withdrawal symptoms... horrible depression and overall sadness... that only lasted like 3 or 4 days though... still not a nice experience :). I recommend it, but if you're going to take it, be ready to deal with some of the side-effects and to possibly be using it for a long time - if not, have the doctor help you stop taking it appropriately.

Yeah, I ended up going off the meds cold turkey last year, after being on it for quite some time and at a higher dosage (don't remember what it was). The initial withdrawal symptoms were feeling irritable, restless, and just overall crappy, but that only lasted a week or so. The longer withdrawal symptoms for me manifested as a sudden severe drop in my mood - I become severely depressed and had to leave college, it was so bad.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Yeah, I ended up going off the meds cold turkey last year, after being on it for quite some time and at a higher dosage (don't remember what it was). The initial withdrawal symptoms were feeling irritable, restless, and just overall crappy, but that only lasted a week or so. The longer withdrawal symptoms for me manifested as a sudden severe drop in my mood - I become severely depressed and had to leave college, it was so bad.

Cold turkey is bad for meds like these! =/ Ive never been on Paxil. want to try Sertaline.

^Good. For me, it definately helped a lot. It helps you cope with it... doesn't fix it. If there's any advice I can give, is take advantage (as much as you can) of the help that it gives you in being able to be in social situatioins (ie. don't stay home all day, go out, meet people and keep yourself social).

silent k

i have this medication, am afraid to use it because of the side effects. afraid of possible long term side effects. afraid of giving up on my natural potential, even though i already believe that i am way behind. i took one pill of celexa, and couldn't get myself to keep taking it, because of how bad it made me feel. i have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that it has to get worse before it gets better. the celexa just made me feel sick and killed my appetite, and i am thin enuf as it is. i will keep the drugs on the shelf as a last resort not quite there yet. let us know how its working, ill let u know if i start taking it........... peace

Last edited:
Paxil was the first med my doctor put me on. It helped for a while, probably a year or so, but then the effect started to wear. She put me on other meds and just recently took me off of it. Other than the occasional headache, I didn't have any withdrawal problems. But my mom was on it for years and had a very bad time getting off of it. I think it just depends on the person. Keep in mind that it takes a couple of weeks for it to fully enter your system. So if you don't feel any different within the first couple of days, that is normal.

NickyNacker

I just got put on Paxil yesterday. They say it takes like a month to work, and I'm impatient. :X
I just hope it makes some sort of change. I was on Zoloft in 2008 which didn't do anything.
They put me on Paxil because I went in for both Depression and Insomnia. They said Paxil helped with sleep but it didn't last night. Hmm

Josette

I just got put on Paxil yesterday. They say it takes like a month to work, and I'm impatient. :X
I just hope it makes some sort of change. I was on Zoloft in 2008 which didn't do anything.
They put me on Paxil because I went in for both Depression and Insomnia. They said Paxil helped with sleep but it didn't last night. Hmm

When I first started taking Paxil, I had 100% insomnia for about a week. It went away after the week though and I slept normally. I can't say it helped me sleep better though.

I did have weight gain as well. And I'm not sure it ever did anything positive for me. Maybe took the edge off. I don't know. I finally stopped taking it last year. Withdrawal was hard.

NihilSlayer

I took paxil for about a year. In that time I gained 40 pounds and felt sort of jittery at times. Everyone around me said I "came out of my shell" and acted much more sociable, but the transition from hermit crab to social butterfly was so gradual I didn't notice it. In the end I decided to stop taking paxil, and now I face the world with my raw nerves and mettle. It sucks a lot, but for me this is the preferred way. Eventually, I will have to take a speech class in college; for that I will probably get some beta-blockers. Hope it all works out for you mate.

Last edited: