Parents who don't seem to care??

lyricalliaisons

Do any of you have parents who never seem to care about you? Specifically if you're living with them, but even if you no longer do.

For me, I've lived with my mom my whole life (28 years) & have been taking care of her since she had a bad stroke nine years ago. The thing is, no matter how badly I feel, & no matter how apparent it is, she never asks me whats wrong, she never seems to care at all. On September 14, 2007, I very nearly killed myself. She was in the house with me &, despite my very erratic behavior & hysterical crying & telling her I needed her to care about me, she said nothing. She just got up & walked out of the room while I was in the midst of what might as well be called a "nervous breakdown." I nearly killed myself & she just left the room.

There are also plenty of times, especially when her health was better, when I would need her help just to do something small, but she wouldn't help me. Last Autumn, I needed to get a book I had on hold at the library. It was called "The House Without the Door: A Study of Emily Dickinson and the Illness of Agoraphobia". It was so hard for me to leave the house & I was hoping that book would help in even some small way. I begged my mom to come to the library with me to get it, but she absolutely refused to. I do everything for her. I cook her meals. I wash her clothes. I clean up after her most of the time. I call her doctors, make her appointments, do absolutely everything. All I needed was for her to come with me to the library one time, so that I could pick up a book. There was absolutely nothing wrong with her-- her walking & breathing had not gotten bad like it since has-- but she repeatedly refused & told me I needed to go on my own. I actually started crying. I was in a horrible mental state at the time & I guess I was just hoping that book would help. I told her of how I do everything for her & asked why she couldn't just do this one small thing for me. The library is right down the street, so it's not as if she would have had to walk far. I told her I was afraid to go by myself, but she said I need to learn to do things on my own. I do nearly everything on my own & I told her that. She knows it. But all she said to me was "What are you going to do when I'm not here?" Meaning, what am I going to do when she dies & can't go places with me. I never ended up getting that book because I was too afraid to get it on my own.

I always feel so unappreciated. I spent my whole youth taking care of her. Most people my age are not taking care of their parents, but I've been taking care of my mom since I was barely even an adult myself. It's really hard having to learn how to take care of yourself, & your mother, all at the same time, with no help from anyone. Especially when that parent is uncaring.

So, I was wondering... Does anyone else have parents who just don't understand them & never try to help. Who never ask how you're doing & never even care how you feel?