Paranoia Over Being Attacked

this_portrait

Lately, for weeks (maybe even over a month now; I haven't been keeping track), I've been overcome with paranoia about being the victim of a heinous crime (murder, rape, beaten, etc.) I fear this stuff happening in a more secluded area outside rather than in my own residence (though I've certainly had some paranoia about someone breaking in as well).

I think I know the reason why I've been feeling this way; in fact, it's for a few reasons: 1) unemployment for almost 4 months and fear of having nowhere to go (this might begin to recede, since I finally landed a full-time, well paid job this past Friday); 2) reading too much news online (it's the global news and conspiracy/doomsday theorists that have been scaring the shit out of me); and 3) the prospect of moving to a new apartment, in a new neighborhood, at the end of the month.

The whole mental experience has made me realize just how scared shitless I am of death. While it makes me want to really change and make the most of life and be successful, I can't help but think that I'm too young to be thinking about it. Much how I tried to really imagine the lights going out for good (and what happens after, if anything) a few weeks ago, I now keep imagining how it would feel to have severe pain/trauma inflicted on my body (example would be getting hit by a car). My imagination of it pales in comparison to how it would ACTUALLY feel.

It's like a more adult, realistic version of the bogeyman. Living in the murder capitol of the country certainly doesn't ease the anxiety, even though the overwhelming majority of those murders are gang-related and almost always confined to certain neighborhoods. I've been living here for almost 8 years now, and the closest I've ever experienced to a crime was an ATTEMPTED (and unarmed) mugging, ironically in one of the most expensive neighborhoods of the city. Still, I worry about things escalating to the point where no one is really that safe.

I'm very relieved to have finally gotten a job, because after I pay off a good portion of my credit card debt, I intend on setting aside some cash for a CCL license (and the courses needed to obtain it) and some cheap Krav Maga classes. It's been years since I last had any martial arts training (a good chunk of it was useless, though), and though I have a tendency to turn into a complete aggressive nutcase when I feel threatened, I think I would possibly not feel as scared if I was even a little bit stronger physically. I hate having to wait for that money to be saved up; I want to start right now.

Does anyone have any advice on how to stop thinking about these things so much? It seems like even when I try to avoid reading news, the thoughts still invade my mind. I remember my psychiatrist mentioning an non-addictive anti-anxiety medication you can take every day, and it's starting to look really appealing lately. Klonopin can only help so much, and Wellbutrin does nothing for it (just keeps my depression at bay). I just want to go back to a calmer state of mind, unafraid (but still cautious) of any creeping dangers around me.

dannyboy65

I have paranoid schizophrenia so I feel this every where. Also about the news, try to read positive stuff. Also the conspiracy and doomsday people don't listen to their bullshit. I had the longest fear of 2012 for a few years and it ruined me mentally. Also if you want help go on the website called snopes.com, they debunk rumors and stuff and it's always helped me out.

this_portrait

I have paranoid schizophrenia so I feel this every where. Also about the news, try to read positive stuff. Also the conspiracy and doomsday people don't listen to their bullshit. I had the longest fear of 2012 for a few years and it ruined me mentally. Also if you want help go on the website called snopes.com, they debunk rumors and stuff and it's always helped me out.

If you saw my Fb feed, you'd see one extreme or the other: the news that has been making me paranoid, and then cute animals (mainly cats/kittens). I really need to utilize filtering tools more.

Yeah, with the conspiracy/doomsday theorists, I don't want to be one of the people in tinfoil hats. >.> Most of the shit I can ignore, and up until recently I've never given it the time of day. Sometimes it gets to the point where I think my mind is deteriorating and that I'm legit going insane.

dannyboy65

If you saw my Fb feed, you'd see one extreme or the other: the news that has been making me paranoid, and then cute animals (mainly cats/kittens). I really need to utilize filtering tools more.

Yeah, with the conspiracy/doomsday theorists, I don't want to be one of the people in tinfoil hats. >.> Most of the shit I can ignore, and up until recently I've never given it the time of day. Sometimes it gets to the point where I think my mind is deteriorating and that I'm legit going insane.

I have a solution for Facebook if you use a laptop download facebook purity and it helps filter your facebook.

this_portrait

I have a solution for Facebook if you use a laptop download facebook purity and it helps filter your facebook.

I have Fb Purity, and while it's nifty on my laptop, I don't think it works on the Fb app for a smartphone. :/ Unless I limit how much I browse on my phone and primarily use my laptop for browsing, and the phone for checking notifications and posting pictures and whatnot.

dannyboy65

I have Fb Purity, and while it's nifty on my laptop, I don't think it works on the Fb app for a smartphone. :/ Unless I limit how much I browse on my phone and primarily use my laptop for browsing, and the phone for checking notifications and posting pictures and whatnot.

I use my laptop mainly but if I go on my tablet I only really have funny pages liked and get a feed full of memes that make me laugh. I also delete people who I barely know or stuff like that. If someone keeps posting stuff and you don't like it but you like them just un follow them.

Hello guys,

I've been paranoid since quite a long time, and still am, you should see it on its positive side, it's like killing a bug with a bazooka, instead of just your feet, if you catch my drift.

Paranoid people take all the precautions they can, and are hardly startled because they tend to have most scenarios and outcomes figured out in advance.

As for the possibility of being mugged, followed or that someone is up to do you no good, I am thinking about it in permanence, I look behind my back to see if I am being followed every time, in addition to avoiding having someone sitting behind me, if you are paranoid, you know what I mean...

Taking krav maga classes is good too, helps you to be more confident, and to at least discourage people from messing with you.

Something like this happens to me when there is something impending that stresses me out like exams, bereavement, illness, moving house, end of an important relationship, something that impacts my life on quite a large scale. I fixate on something; if the chicken was cooked, if Im going to be sick and I get completely obsessive about it. I throw everything out. I start thinking about every single thing I eat, is this raw, could this make me feel sick? I start limiting most of the food groups and look at ingredients on everything over and over, I wont eat out and it becomes the absolute most central thought I have. Totally irrational food anxiety and its outta nowhere everytime and it completely takes over to the point that I will just fall apart. I stop eating properly and by the end of it Im just surviving on carbohydrates...totally irrational. Im not big on crying or feeling vulnerable. I guess this has been a sort of weird outlet for me. Nowadays I have discovered that the absolute best way for me to handle my anxiety is to occupy myself with something that engages me totally, I sort of channel my obsessiveness into solving problems or trying to make something that is close to perfect....its never anywhere even near perfect but the pursuit of perfect keeps me busy. So I like maths for that reason and arts. They occupy my mind so I dont stress so much, so when things are really bad I pick up a pen or a paintbrush and it helps, a lot. But nothing comes close to how amazing dogs are, I dont understand how but having dogs around makes me feel a million times more relaxed.

Im sorry youve been feeling this fear, I think the Krava mag is a great idea. I hope it helps you to feel empowered.I hope that once you settle into the new job and apartment that these fears will start to subside. It always hard to judge a situation when theres change going on. new job and house, thats a lot and moving house is supposed to be the most stressful thing you can do.

Last edited: