OVER-ANALYZING??

AsHLeY

Does anybody else overthink and analyze every little thing??
I can't help it ~ I just constantly think through every possible scenario that "could" happen in a situation, no matter how unlikely it is.
For example: let's say someone tells a joke. I know of a good one as well but then I start thinking "well, what if nobody laughs at mine?....what if they don't get it?....what if I trip up my words?....what if I blurt out the punch line & look like a fool?....what if they just look blankly at me and tell me that's dumb?" etc!! I could go on but I'll spare you ~ I think I've made my point. Anyway, by the time I actually decide to suck it up & go for it, I'm like 5 minutes behind (and probably 5 topics behind) and they're rambling on about, I dunno, let's say global warming now. Obviously, I can't just throw in the joke when it has no correlation to the topic they're referring to ~ I'll look like a freakin' moron so I just say nothing. Then I wonder why people have a hard time getting to know me. :roll:
In my mind, I have a million things to say but when it comes to actually saying most of them, I generally keep it inside.
I also over-analyze many conversations that I have with people through the day, later on in my mind. I start rehashing everything that was said or facial expressions/body language etc. I start thinking of things that I "should have" said and wondering if they were offended by my sarcasm on certain subjects...even if they laughed, I still wonder.
Maybe it's because I do that to people ~ even if I don't think something's funny that they obviously do, I give a "pity" laugh or something, so they don't feel bad about themself. I dunno, it's weird as hell.
Does anybody do this?? If not, then scratch all that! :lol:

alex29

yup. Im always thinking about what I say nd if its appropriate. Im not a rude person, so I know by most peoples standards it would be fine! but for me I always have to think of all the things that could happen rather than just movingon

by the time i decide its ok to say something, its not the appropriate time.

even online Ifind myself typing out posts and then deleting what I say before posting. I just dont want to get too involved in things because Im afraid I wont be able to justify what I say if Im criticized

I do that absolutely all the time. So much of my time is thinkong of what I should have said, How I could of been better, how I did wrong. All that stuff.

stardog

Same here. Loads I could say in a conversation usually but anxiety clouds up my mind so I find it difficult to have a proper train of thought even (at least you have what you want to say in your head!) I do CBT stuff with a counsellor, but most of the time it is just totally useless cause I'm so anxious for the entire time he's around that I find it difficult to articulate my thoughts at all. He probably thinks I'm a bit slow...

sidney

dito, i do it all the time. its partly why my problems have gotten so bad cus i think about bad things that can happen which then make me nervous going into the situation. . .stupid mind ¬_¬

Primrose

It's the over thinking I do after something which cripples me. I go over everything from where their eyes looked, to the tone of their voice to trying to find hidden meanings simple conversation. It's ridiculous.

It happened recently again and I tortured myself for days going over one single scenario again and again until my brain could make sense of it.

I don't know how to make it stop.

I'm one big paranoid fart! LOL

ktea

i'm over-analytical too. i overthink every little thing. it stresses me out. im so stressed and anxious every day... i dont know what to do about it.

Sacrament

Oh god, do I know what that is. It annoys the hell out of me. The only time I get away from that is when I sleep, which sucks. I need to find more things to busy myself with and stop thinking so much.

Oh, brain, shut up for a minute and give me some rest.

miss_amy

I over analyse things that have already happened really badly. Things that happened a long time ago too.

I do it for future stuff, lots of what ifs that get me in a state and rarely actually happen. My logical side knows its stupid but I can't seem to stop feeling it.

tool1919

Oh yeh i DEFINITELY overanalyse everything!

Another bad thing for me is that if something happens to me, for example just something random or funny during the day i want to tell people later on but i'll spend time thinking about and working out how i'm going to tell them so by the time i get around to telling the story i've over thought and over analysed it so much that i put pressure on myself to say it right. Guess it probly sounds rehearsed to others also. Whereas if i'd just left it then decided to tell someone 'in the moment' then it would just come out natural and normal. And anyway, who cares if you forget bits of the story or whatever. God i'm an idiot sometimes!

CPA23

tool1919 said:
Oh yeh i DEFINITELY overanalyse everything!

Another bad thing for me is that if something happens to me, for example just something random or funny during the day i want to tell people later on but i'll spend time thinking about and working out how i'm going to tell them so by the time i get around to telling the story i've over thought and over analysed it so much that i put pressure on myself to say it right. Guess it probly sounds rehearsed to others also. Whereas if i'd just left it then decided to tell someone 'in the moment' then it would just come out natural and normal. And anyway, who cares if you forget bits of the story or whatever. God i'm an idiot sometimes!

I feel the same way a lot of times. I just feel that I have to say something in a certain way in order for the message to be accepted by the other person.

Or sometimes I'll have something to say and I'll feel like its not worth saying even though I hear other people say dumb stuff all the time.

I just wish I could say what I feel without having to constantly worry about how other people will take it!!