not saying "hi" to people

mozart87

one my most pronounced "social phobia" caracteristic is that I don't say "hi" to a lot of people I meet in everyday life.
at college, I had some previous bad experiences in the first year, sometimes when I said "hi" but I got no response. so I become an ******* myself, I say hi only to people I have direct contact.
with some neighbours I had some "conflicts" so I stopped saying good morning/afternoon/evening when I meet them.
the most shameful situation is with one of my sister's colleagues from a previous job she had. there was this one time when she like didn't response to my "hi" and after that I developed a really strange feeling. First I didn't say hi when I meet her, then I started to avoid her because I'm really embarassed by this irational situation.[she must think I'm crazy:D, I hope she's not afraid that I want to kill her or something LOL].

It started like a desire for revenge: I really felt bad in my life when I tried to be a nice person, and istead of respect from others, I received...****
And from one to another I got in this thriller scenario that is really exhausting sometimes.
I promise that at a future job, or why not, city where I will live, I'll say hi to people, although some of them don't deserve it. It would be a lot stressless for me.

Thanks for reading, it's really a release for me, that I shared this...I'm going to some sunday afternoon sleep...see u 2nite

foxdude

hi! :D
I often experience the same fear of saying hi to someone and not getting any response, which will make me look like some kind of weirdo while in fact, the only weird thing happening is him/her not responding. So most of the time when I see someone I know, all I do is look them in the eye and nod my head...

Richey

at my place of employment there are alot of people in a small space and i'll say hi to about the first 4 people i see and that's it and sometimes some of the others walk by and say "HI .." and my name as if to say "you didn't say hi to me so i'm saying hi really loudly so everyone else and you knows how annoyed i was that you didnt say hi to me the first time we passed by each other" ....people are just either sensitive or they like tou push your buttons...

people really annoy me. ..where i work none of us are really close because the job is so busy and high pressure we dont all get a chance to just talk about things and not everyone says hi to each other at all, in fact some people walk in and start and just get side-tracked....

dooby-duck

This is one of my problems as well. I can't work out when to greet people so I usually wait for them to initiate it. I'm the same with any conversation really. Some times I'll say hello or wave to them when passing in a car and they ignore me. I feel terrible if I get the timing wrong and miss a wave before they've gone.

Anomaly

I passed some drunks on the street in one of my nightly walks. They managed a "hey" as I passed by, but I didn't bother responding -- my mind was on something else. After I they were ~15 feet in the distance, they yelled "f*** you man" and I thought it was quite funny.

I tend to not greet people I don't know on the street. If I feel like giving one, a nod is suffice.

Kitana

I work at a hotel.. so my job requires that I say "hi" and "good morning" to every person that walks down the hall. I've been here for 2 years now and it never gets any easier.. altho, I have learned how to spot the people that will most likely ignore my greeting -- and skip them. That makes it a little easier.

I hate it when people ignore me tho.. the mix of emotions I feel can get so intense.. I get angry and want revenge, but than I think "maybe I was quiet.. people tell me I'm quiet all the time" than I start to doubt that and the thoughts just keep going round and round.

Vecis

I also have trouble saying hi which is 'čau in Latvian. I always say greetings- sveiki. I also never say god morning labrītI always say good day- labdien. I usually say these phrases in lowered tone because I am get shy in this situation.