Non-alcoholic drinks

aj

If you're in the UK, what non-alcoholic drinks are there if you go out in the evening and everyone is drinking? What doesn't make you look too daft? A glass of some oddly odourless vodka? ::p:

Solitude

Gin and tonic is a big drink over there right? I would think just a tonic water with lime would blend in well. If you can stand the taste of tonic water without gin or vodka in it :p

aj

Thanks guys, those sound perfect. I don't know what's big over here, I'm the wrong person to ask! Can you describe what soda or tonic water tastes like on its own or with just lime? Is it an acquired taste or anything? Oh and what exactly do you mean by bitters hoddesdon? You can see how much I know :rolleyes:

hoddesdon

No, I am referring to soda, lime and bitters. But the bitters referred to in the Wikipedia article (Lemon, Lime and Bitters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is the same in both cases.

Feathers

No, I am referring to soda, lime and bitters. But the bitters referred to in the Wikipedia article (Lemon, Lime and Bitters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is the same in both cases.

Do you get a choice between alco and non-alco bitters though?
Apparently most bitters "commonly have an alcoholic strength of 45% ABV and are used as digestifs and as flavoring in cocktails". (?!)

I remember drinking lime/lemonade+beer or something like that and it was good, low alco content though. How about just lemonade? :) (Not sure how they make it though, in London.. :D)

I prefer to stay away from soda, it contains phosphoric acid and sugar which leach magnesium from your body and may increase anxiety or such.

When out and being 'non-alco' I stick to water mostly, maybe water with lemon or bubbly I mean sparkling water.. (Not sure what of those would be most 'hip' in London, maybe depends on the venue too..) Just look around what other people seem to be drinking and what's on the 'menu'?

If you drink apple juice with water it looks almost like white wine, it depends on the glass though. Or blackcurrant juice can look like red wine. If you're at a party you can 'fake' it.. :D

I think vodka would hardly be 'non-alco' :D There's alco-free champagne that I know of, but what I drank wasn't very good. Probably not hip in London either. Sorry I can't be of more help..

I hear tap water is supposed to be hip in London, there have been campaigns for it and some pubs etc started pouring it again, in special jugs. Not sure how healthy it is though.. It's definitely more eco than plastic bottles though.. (Not sure how hip it is again, maybe depends on locations too..)

Rembrandt Broam

If you're in the UK, what non-alcoholic drinks are there if you go out in the evening and everyone is drinking? What doesn't make you look too daft? A glass of some oddly odourless vodka? ::p:

I'm not really sure I understand the question. Why would any drink make you look daft? Just drink whatever beverage you enjoy. :) If I am in a pub and not drinking (or I don't want to drink any more) I just have a Coke or something.