No to Medication

WaterWitch

The closest to curing a mental ailment, disorder, whatever you may call it, is change in diet. An organic, straight-from-the-earth diet. Enough research I've done has convinced me that removing preserved or "bad" food, anything that takes minutes of microwaving, and foods with ingredients like gluten can relieve symptoms almost entirely. That doesn't mean you can't ever enjoy pizza ever again; just look in the right places for gluten-free pizza like I do. Some people even make their own gluten free bread and grow their own produce in the privacy of their own backyards (sometimes called urban farming). I'm extremely motivated to pursue this lifestyle. Think about it, and this can apply to "normal" people, too, every time you put something like Doritos or Little Debbie cakes into your body...it' doesn't quite compare to how a piece of produce (organic or not) or properly prepared seafood does, right? I know this because I've lived the difference. Before this lifestyle change, my behavior was intolerant to anyone in the same room as me and they were intolerant to me! I was easily agitated, whether it be by lights, loud talking, the television (I still hate the sound of television). Most important of all, I can concentrate better on things! No medication will ever be able to do this. One more reason why I recommend an organic diet is because unlike meds it won't damage the liver or disrupt your body's natural regiments. If you like, share some organic suggestions below.

I agree that food, how we make it, is really affecting the world. The additives and the meat and all that.. there are some excellent documetires out there on the subject. seems people love food too much to go this route though..

Lea

Banned
It is good to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables instead of other food, but I don´t care if it´s organic or not. Organic is alot more expensive, not to mention that ordinary are expensive too. In winter I mostly make juice from carrots and eat apples that we have at home. In sumer I eat melons.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
You can't cure mental illness that way. It's the same as telling a Cancer patient to eat healthy to get cured.

I don't find the idea of medication very appealing, in fact, I've complained about the type of medication they want to add to my list. But if I'm feeling like there's no other way out, no matter what I try, I'd be willing to accept something, maybe the safest one.

A while back, I had two choices: Medication or dragging myself out of bed everyday (assuming I would be able to get up at some point).

While a healthy diet helps, it's not the solution, in my opinion.

Section_31

I disagree, at least in the outright rejection of medication.

I personally was a very unstable individual before i went on wellbutrin, and now im so so thankful for it. That said however, of course you should make efforts on an individual level to balance things as best you can. But sometimes its not enough.

I would much rather take a pill every day and be the person i am, than be the person i was.

this_portrait

I think diet can certainly help, but it's only one thing out of a plethora of other methods to help keep your mental health in check. Plus, there are some mental disorders that are so severe, not taking medication would just make everything worse.

For a lot of people, a healthy combination is best.

MollyBeGood

I wonder how many people here are medicated vs not for mental issues? I take nothing myself. Though I did try the pills route.
I am going all natural now and trying to grow my own produce this summer, never eat fast food, avoid all processed stuff if I can in the future. I don't even want to use toothpaste w/ fluoride b/c of the fact it is poison and no more soft drinks, artificial sweeteners, etc.. I pretty live by the "Don't eat anything with a commercial" rule now. I am trying an apple cider vinegar detox right now with good results so far. I want to go natural with everything.

I 100% believe we are what we eat. Humans are a million times more complex than an automobile for example and look what happens when you put bad gas in your car. Makes sense to me you would want to keep everything you put in and on your body free of toxins.