Nightmares anyone??

lonely_drummer

Does anyone here suffer from reoccurring nightmares? I sure do. I was in a really bad car accident about 4 1/2 years ago. I was in the backseat when my friend was going 100km/h in a 50 zone, he swerved into oncoming traffic and we hit another car head on. I remember blacking out right before we hit and then I woke up a few minutes later still in the backseat. This is where my reoccurring nightmares starts everytime. Waking up, broken glass everywhere, coughing up blood, the horn was going off the whole time. Man that horn scares me everytime. I'm alone looking around for my friends in the front but they're nowhere to be seen. I hear someone saying, don't move! Help is coming! Now I can hear the sirens coming towards me. I just close my eyes, start trembling and wait...

Then I usually wake up, horrified and jumpy for the next day. I had this nightmare again lastnight, first one in over a month which is unusual since I usually have it once or twice a week. After seeing a therapist for my SA, she said that it seems to have originated from this event starting with post traumatic stress disorder. I'm just curious if anyone suffers from reoccurring nightmares like me?

Ads7800

Interesting phenomenon the old re-occurring dream/nightmare. I suppose after an accident of the sort one would naturally have the recurring images in sleep mode. Hope it's not disturbing your sleep badly.

All I can add is a recurring nightmare that often occurs in many different forms, but following a general theme: not finishing school and feeling inadequate about it.

I have about one or two of them a week where I'm about to sit tests, study for exams and still feel odd about not passing, talking with family members about dropping out and feeling low for it, sitting in exams for the subjects I didn't finish in my real schooling years etc. I often wake up confused about having to sit exams until I realise it isn't actually happening and there is no test approaching. Phew!

P.S. Used to have odd dreams on a regular basis about a store I'd enter that sold horror movies on VHS, vinyl records and tiny birds in old-fashioned cages. The bars were so wide apart that the birds could easily fly out, but stayed inside anyway. That one hasn't come back in years.

Silatuyok

That sounds like a horrible memory to have to keep reliving. It sounds like maybe your mind is trying to make sense of the whole thing by reprocessing it over and over and over again... My therapist once did a technique with me called eye movement desensitization therapy. If you google EMDT you can read more about it. It is a good technique for post-traumatic stress, and it helped me get over bad memories from an abusive relationship. Perhaps your therapist will know more about it, or you can find a therapist you uses it.

The only recurring nightmares I ever have are about tornadoes, and that's probably because I live in an area that gets a lot of them. Even so, I understand how awful bad dreams can be, and how they can really ruin your mood.

lonely_drummer

That sounds like a horrible memory to have to keep reliving. It sounds like maybe your mind is trying to make sense of the whole thing by reprocessing it over and over and over again... My therapist once did a technique with me called eye movement desensitization therapy. If you google EMDT you can read more about it. It is a good technique for post-traumatic stress, and it helped me get over bad memories from an abusive relationship. Perhaps your therapist will know more about it, or you can find a therapist you uses it.

The only recurring nightmares I ever have are about tornadoes, and that's probably because I live in an area that gets a lot of them. Even so, I understand how awful bad dreams can be, and how they can really ruin your mood.

Good advice, thanks. I'm definitely looking into that. I have suffered this a long time, I barely get sleep most nights even when I don't get the nightmares but when I do it's horrible. I will probably be up for 2 days straight until I'm completely exhausted. I remember one time I had such a scare from a nightmare, I stayed up for 103 hours straight.

Sometimes I get this feeling that I actually died in that car crash (this is because the cops investigating the crash thought for sure the person in the backseat had died) and I'm living in hell from it or in a coma or something and I've lived 4 1/2 years in this crazy world but I think u guys would tell me if I was, right???

Azael

I posted this in another thread earlier in the year about dreams et al on my old account, but I'll post it again here. I used to have a few recurring nightmares. The most disturbing was one in which I was in a room with no doors. It was a very dank room, like in a house that had not been lived in for years, but then a being appeared in the room it was initially in a shadow form. The room changed and became very dark with living things on the walls. I recall feeling very cold during this and after waking. This being tried to catch me and once successful would always drive me into a suddenly appearing archway with all manner of rotating blades and such. It was quite a graphic end being mutilated like that. I have no idea where that came from. I have never been one for horrors, particularly anything with lots of gore, it just doesn't appeal to me. Besides I was quite young as well. This particular nightmare would leave me feeling quite shaking quite awhile after it's occurance.

I've had others too, the most prominant involving sharks and extraterrestrials. I have had a few things that were suspiciously akin to astral projection. But I'll not discuss that here.

Well, I'd rather end this on a positive note and reference my dream where I took off and flew in a cardboard box! I still laugh at that one to this day. :D

Silatuyok

Well, I'd rather end this on a positive note and reference my dream where I took off and flew in a cardboard box! I still laugh at that one to this day. :D

Nice! Not too long ago I had a dream where I was flying on a cupcake that had big beautiful butterfly wings.

Silatuyok

Sometimes I get this feeling that I actually died in that car crash (this is because the cops investigating the crash thought for sure the person in the backseat had died) and I'm living in hell from it or in a coma or something and I've lived 4 1/2 years in this crazy world but I think u guys would tell me if I was, right???

You are definitely alive, so that's a good thing. :)

lonely_drummer

Damn! Sounds like you guys have awesome dreams. I don't remember any of mine except the car accident nightmare. that one sticks with me, why couldn't flying on purple clouds on Saturn be my reoccurring dream?? Hmmmm maybe some wicked drugs could help me out there lol

Also good to hear I'm actually alive but wouldn't you say that anyway if I wasn't? Hehe