New to this! My short story.

AJ595

I'm a 29 year old guy who has been plagued with this problem my whole life. I'm just looking for someone who knows what I'm going through. I just recently discovered social anxiety was my problem. I have searched for answers for years, but that common misconception that people with social anxiety have panic attacks all the time is what threw me off. When I finally started reading peoples stories about social anxiety I almost started crying. It was some relief just to know there are others like me. I was diagnosed with severe depression years ago, but the medicine prescribed never helped. I have abused pain pills for years now to try to cope. Everyone that knows about the pills thinks that is the problem. But it's just one of the symptoms really. I have never been able to have a life because of this social phobia. I've been unemployed for a long time, finally started a new job about two weeks ago, and I still find myself looking around at normal people talking to each other. And I'm always there alone. I worry about everything. It's just like I'm in one world and everyone else is in a different one. I have played hide and seek in stores to avoid running into people I know. When I do talk, it's hard to hear me and I'm so self conscious of the sound of my voice. I was a straight A student in school up until high school when I dropped out. My dad left around that time and I hated school because of the being nervous all the time so I quit. People didn't understand it, but if you have no life, no friends it's hard to be motivated to do anything. Now I feel like my whole life has been thrown away because of this condition. I can never be comfortable around anyone. There's so much more, but don't want to make it too long. Right now I don't have insurance or anyway to have therapy or treatment of any kind. I just would like to hear from someone that knows how this feels.

planemo

Hi, and welcome. You'll find many people here who will relate to your experiences. As the slogan says "You are not Alone".

fate12321

Hi, welcome to the forum. I can relate to you a lot. Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like to talk.

zharl

OH THIS HIT ME RIGHT IN THE FEELS!

Welcome, man. Please chat with us! We're a very welcoming and open community! You'll find people on here who have similar experiences to you and can empathize.

Again, welcome!

defiance

First off, welcome to the club. As zharl stated, the people here are welcoming and are willing to listen. Social anxiety and depression ruining ones life? Yup that's me alright and many others here as well unfortunately. The tiniest of tasks become the biggest obstacles to tackle. Always worried about every little detail of every little thing. I know what that feels like. So here you can open up and be honest about how you feel because no one will judge you that's for sure. We will listen and be able to relate because well that is why we are here. In the meantime hope all goes well for you and again welcome to the club :)

zharl

The tiniest of tasks become the biggest obstacles to tackle. Always worried about every little detail of every little thing.

That's perhaps the best description of SA + Depression I've heard in a long while. :crying: