Never heard of APD, but maybe I have it?

Manok

I usually get one of a few reactions from people, I either get laughed at, picked on or treated like I don't exist, if they're not just plain rude, I went through a phase where I was basically a functioning mute because what was the point of talking if no one bothered to listen or pretend to care, another thing I hate, is I'm supposed to go to social gatherings either for work, or family, and am missed when not there, but when I am I'm usually sitting in a corner alone because once again no one bothered to even notice I was present. So I just spend most of my time in my room, because apparently no one wants me around even though they pretend to miss me when I'm not there. No one has ever told me what I'm doing wrong either so I can fix things. Is this APD or something else?

THeCARS1979

I usually get one of a few reactions from people, I either get laughed at, picked on or treated like I don't exist, if they're not just plain rude, I went through a phase where I was basically a functioning mute because what was the point of talking if no one bothered to listen or pretend to care, another thing I hate, is I'm supposed to go to social gatherings either for work, or family, and am missed when not there, but when I am I'm usually sitting in a corner alone because once again no one bothered to even notice I was present. So I just spend most of my time in my room, because apparently no one wants me around even though they pretend to miss me when I'm not there. No one has ever told me what I'm doing wrong either so I can fix things. Is this APD or something else?

wow that sucks man, Im really sorry, I never heard of APD though.

vitalis

To diagnose it correctly more info would be needed and a professional point of view, but yes, it could very well be APD. This feeling of self-isolating from the world in social occasions is something common on us.

If you take a look at the types of Personality disorders, you'll see that AVP fits into the class C, or the "anxious" type of those disorders. The various personality disorders are different than others like Asperger, Autism or Bipolar that are more related to neurological issues. So basically APD is about an irrational fear that express itself in the avoidance of social interactions, and the worst is that it's a self-reinforcing behavior.

Anyway, don't get yourself sticked by the name or anything else. I remember when I started to be aware of what was happening to me and I saw I suffered from this it was like "oh my, I have a mental illness, I can do nothing and I have no one that understands me so I'm completely lost..." and I sunk in a sort of depression that lasted for months. I have never been able to talk to anyone about that nor go to any med, but I started to go up when I realized that it's all about finding the way to overcome fear. Just think when you were a child and you feared the dark or anything you were scared of, so the process of overcoming APD is not that different.

LazyHermitCrab

Welcome i think you're new? I can relate about the family gatherings. They say they miss me when i'm not there but when I am they don't care lol.

April72

Manok, are you considering visit a consellor or a psychiatrist?
I can't tell you if you have social anxiety or AvPD or any other thing either.
Said that, following some kind of therapy can help you a lot.
I was also the girl in the córner. The others have nothing to do with our situations, we are the ones who isolated ourselves. Obviously, other people may be interested in meeting us better and interact with us, but, they can't. They don't know how to open our shell.

I wish you luck and think about the therapy.

Last edited: