Need to vent

My mother pissed me off badly the other day. I wish I had not called her. She knows that my boyfriend and I just broke up; we had just been talking about it. All of a sudden, she says as we are about to hang up, "Oh, Sarah* (her best friend's daughter who is married and around my age) just had her baby." She couldn't have told me later? The woman doesn't think or she doesn't care how I feel, but she knows that it bothers me that things have been crap for me relationship wise and that basically all of the girls in the family as well as close friends are either married, engaged, have had babies recently, or are in relationships.

One time, I told her I was upset about something over the phone and then immediately afterwards she told me that my former therapist who had helped me out a lot during my teen years had just died of cancer. Bad timing.

I have limited the amount of time spent either talking to my mother over the phone or seeing her. Clearly, I need to cut back even more.

*Changed name for the sake of further anonymity.

DeadmanWalking

I don't know if your mother just has really bad timing or if there's something else going on. Go talk to her about this before you excommunicate her. If she honestly didn't know what effect she was having on you, then work it out between you two; if not, then do whatever you want to.

LazyHermitCrab

I'd be so annoyed too.... Did you tell her that it made you upset? On the other hand you could try to embrace other ppls happiness and it will hopefully get you a new bf sooner.

Srijita52

I agree with others, maybe you can talk to her about it and tell her that its hurting you. Hopefully she understands. I'm sorry about what you're going through.

JuiceB

Your mother sounds a lot like mine. I love my mom but she can say or do things that seems insensitive to whatever mood I'm having at any particular time. There have been plenty of times when I'd go to her, sad or depressed, and she would avert her eyes as not to look at me. And if I tried to talk to her about my problems she'd go into what I call her "negative mode", forcing me to leave to avoid being further depressed.

I don't know what to tell you other than be strong and hang in there.