Need some advice

crankitup

It's been ages since I've been here but I'm feeling a bit down at the moment, struggling once again to connect with people. The problem I think is my personality and interest. I'm 26 and I'm more like a 50 year old with my interest and the things I talk about. This became more apparent a few weeks ago when a high school friend who I hadn't seen for 5 years came to visit me. I found I had nothing in common with him to talk about and I think the guy went away thinking how looney I was because I like things like antiques and old music like Bing Crosby. I also liked these things back in high school but I would never let anyone know because of the shame of it.

It's the way I talk too, I don't have the lingo of a young person and use a lot of older words. What I find funny is different too,So it just ends up being akward. I can talk to much older people say over 50 quite easy but it's hard to make friends with someone that age, it still feels a there is a barrier.

I thought I worked all this stuff out years ago but it seems to be back to haunt me once again. I think the way I've dealt with it in the past is to get stuck into my hobbies and pretend that the majority of young people don't exist. Doesn't seem to be working anymore. maybe it made things worse.
How can I make myself feel better??::(:

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
It's been ages since I've been here but I'm feeling a bit down at the moment, struggling once again to connect with people. The problem I think is my personality and interest. I'm 26 and I'm more like a 50 year old with my interest and the things I talk about. This became more apparent a few weeks ago when a high school friend who I hadn't seen for 5 years came to visit me. I found I had nothing in common with him to talk about and I think the guy went away thinking how looney I was because I like things like antiques and old music like Bing Crosby. I also liked these things back in high school but I would never let anyone know because of the shame of it.

It's the way I talk too, I don't have the lingo of a young person and use a lot of older words. What I find funny is different too,So it just ends up being akward. I can talk to much older people say over 50 quite easy but it's hard to make friends with someone that age, it still feels a there is a barrier.

I thought I worked all this stuff out years ago but it seems to be back to haunt me once again. I think the way I've dealt with it in the past is to get stuck into my hobbies and pretend that the majority of young people don't exist. Doesn't seem to be working anymore. maybe it made things worse.
How can I make myself feel better??::(:

Accept yourself, and find people with the same or similar interests. That'd be the best idea. Don't change yourself or your interests just to "fit in" with your peer group.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrrong to like old music or speak with older words. That just reflects some culture u have. U are free to choose what u like and if people dont like the way u are, u probably need to find others that u ve more common interests. Again, nothing is wrong with u!

1BlackSheep

Ah, we are kindred spirits! I've always been like you in that I relate much better to people who are quite a bit older than I am (and love antiques!). Many of my friends are close to my parent's age! Guess we're just "old souls" who appreciate a time when things were simpler. I don't seem to fit into today's world!

I wish the 20-somethings I work with were more like you! :)

crankitup

Ah, we are kindred spirits! I've always been like you in that I relate much better to people who are quite a bit older than I am (and love antiques!). Many of my friends are close to my parent's age! Guess we're just "old souls" who appreciate a time when things were simpler. I don't seem to fit into today's world!

I wish the 20-somethings I work with were more like you! :)

Oh what a nice thing to say. Makes me feel a whole lot better.:) I'm definitely an old soul.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. For the most part I've been pretty good with doing what I like regardless and also I'm usually able to ignore people that don't except the way I am without a second thought. I guess that visit just set something off.

Phoenixx

Like the others have already said, there's nothing wrong with liking old things at all. While I'm not into much of anything old fashioned, I love antiques. My parents are collectors of antiques and such (plus it helps when they inherit the stuff too from their parents/grandparents), so I was pretty much raised around it all. I find it all so interesting, it's all just another part of history. Plus, they don't make furniture now like they used to. ::p:

Anyway, don't feel bad for what you like. If people can't accept what you like, or who you are as a person, then don't worry about them. Look and keep your eyes open for others with similar interests as you. I'm pretty sure there are more than a handful of people out there in your age group that share those same interests.