Need Advice

Info_please

Hi everyone,

To start off I have always had some form of mild ocd. Touching,counting or intrusive thoughts. Fortunately all of the above have not been an issue in years.
That being said, I recently over the last few months for some reason keep seeing my nose in my line of sight and it's driving me nuts! I have had something similar to this years ago and it simply dissipated. What would be the best strategy to help me get this out of my mind. The more I think about it the more aware of it I become and so on.
Thanks in advance for your advice and kindness!

surewhynot

Find something to occupy your mind. When your mind has nothing to think about it does very strange things. Read a book, go for a jog or something, just don't sit all day doing nothing. Good luck :)

Info_please

I actually work in a fitness club and am fine when working out or distracted however when the thought/compulsion re enters my mind I have trouble conversing with people due to the fact I keep seeing my nose and the more I try not to the more it seems to happen.
Should I look at it on purpose when it's not present. I find it's the fear of it happening that makes it actually happen. I know it does not seem like a huge deal to most however it is quite bothersome to me. I can function and work and be a good husband and father however I just wish I could go back to being myself and not have this issue any longer.

jaim38

Acknowledge it, and it might go away. Say something to yourself like, "Note: I am obsessed about seeing my nose in my line of sight." The obsession might disappear afterwards. Just be aware that we get intrusive thoughts all the time, sometimes the same old thought keeps popping up from time to time. There's no cure to completely getting rid of such thoughts. What we can do is be the passive observer behind those thoughts, and acknowledge them. Face them. Then perhaps the thoughts won't bother you as much.

Voltage91

Do something to keep your mind busy. I have the same issue with obsessive intrusive thoughts. I play video game quite a bit so I noticed that when I do that I'm less obsessed and feel better. So, keep busy and good luck :)

Whoopdeedoo

Omg thats actually funny...
And im so sorry for saying so
I myself have been compulsively playing with one tooth with my tongue.

& it gives me a headache when done too often & i cant stop
I ve been very stressed lately and i think im trying to sooth myself
much like why a child might suck their thumb, it comforts me ...

I think you re preoccupied with your nose as a kind of distraction.
Be it from anxiety and overstimulation or general boredom or disinterest.
At least thats how it goes with me