Need a new job

Ren Koutaisou

Ok so I work in a popular restaurant and I almost can not take it anymore. I keep considering just walking out and not coming back. IT is so annoying because there are too many people. I am one of the cashiers.

So I have to ask what they want to drink and how many people in the party etc so my mouth gets dry, but I still have to keep talking. I get extremely annoyed and there are just SO MANY ****ING PEOPLE coming in there. Sometimes I feel like punching people in the face.

Then there are some people who try to joke around to make me smile and it is way more annoying than it is funny. Jokes like "I'm 3" and "she's a kid" ok already !!! I've heard that 50 times today so cram it, ass hole.

Then there are the rushes when people are coming from everywhere and sometimes I will be the only cashier there. I just can't take this anymore.

I need ideas where to work without being annoyed like this? No food service and no cashier jobs. I have applied at UPS and Giant, and Target earlier, any other ideas?

PS This is just a quick fix I'm looking for, not a career. I'm still working toward my career.

RossMc

I would recommend some type of health care job. Sure there is stress, but most of the patients you care for will need someone to help them, and the majority of them appreciate the help you give them. I know that going into a health care job was the best career move I ever made. I don't even have a clinical degree of any type, and I make $21.09 an hour base pay supervising nurses aides for a government agency, plus plenty of shift differential and :)overtime, 4 weeks of vacation a year, plus a pension.

dottie

@Ren Koutaisou soooo relate. working in a restaurant is like taking a whooping emotionally.

@rossmc that is interesting. i wish i could get hired at a job like that. i feel lucky just to be interviewed for a part time job at the mall. are you in america? what part? maybe i should move there if they are actually hiring.

Richey

hospitality is just pure insanity and the pressure involved is enough to break even the strongest people who work in it especially if its a very busy restaurant.

i've worked a bit in hospitality and i can't stand it but i need to earn money somehow. i think it really suits the types of people who like the idea of nursing? and helping people in that sense. i've had some occasions where i nearly dehydrated after finishing a shift because it was a 7 hour busy shift in a hot kitchen. it felt like i was being metaphorically raped non stop.

all i can say is unless you want a career in cooking get the hell out as fast as you can. it'll just be a stress fest.

the funny thing is, all of the ten or so people i worked with including the managers and waiting staff clearly hated being there ..so don't hide the fact that its a crap job from anyone because they'd probably agree with you, secretly.

you would be better off having no job and drawing all day or spending time developing skills for a better opportunity then wasting your time and health in a busy kitchen

the only people who are truly benefiting in a kitchen job are the managers and the chefs.

so you need a new job? get your resume checked. call a few agencies. hit the streets. use the motivation for not wanting your current job to find a new one that you are worthy of.

Last edited:

Ren Koutaisou

Luckily I do not work in the kitchen. Unfortunately, I think that the kitchen might be better than the front line. There are too many people to deal with up there. I'd rather work as a dish washer than front line.

I have just applied to Sears, maybe I have a better chance of leaving if I keep applying.

Funny thing is that my sister just completely turned her back on me. I told her I feel depressed about it and want to quit ( I knew I shouldn't have said that to anyone) and of course I get "don't quit! don't quit!"

At this point I feel like I should be unemployed rather than working there. But my mother is bugging out about the thought too. When there's trouble, this family can not be trusted.

So I will keep applying.

Richey

i've done both front line and dishwasher and food prep etc and food prep is definitely the most enjoyable. dishwashing is very stressful in terms of labor and stress on you. basically you are slammed non-stop with dirty dishes and you have waiting staff standing right in front of you unloading. this means a combination of forced social pressure and moving really fast. definitely a 10/10 stress fest.

on the front line in the bistro is socially stressful because alot of it is out of your control. you have to take requests and deliver trays and communicate with the chef for orders, it is hard as well ...

all i know is its definitely not suited for me even though i can do it. alot of it depends how self conscious you are.

if you want a new job quickly then call the companies because its the phone call that will impress them the most.

Last edited:

petrified eyes

I worked for a small warehouse for a short time, just one other person there besides the boss, 1 or 2 trucks coming and going a day. If you don't mind some physically demanding work for low pay I recommend it. (I can't vouch for larger ones though.) I was pretty much left to my own devices. Sort this, stack that, label those, sign for this, manhandle that onto the truck, simple stuff like that. Few people, nicely organized, my own pace (within limits), it does get monotonous after a while though.