natural ways to treat anxiety

exquisite

ive heard of valerian root to treat anxiety. russians almost swear by it. but do vitamins of valerian root actually help? are there there other herbs that can help? im trying to find natural cures lol

Iseesky

Passionflower is supposed to be pretty good for anxiety. I've never tried it and don't know anyone that has.

I bought some valerian root tablets for my anxiety, but I have no idea if they work or not. They haven't seemed to.

"Valerian is usually taken an hour before bedtime. It takes about two to three weeks to work and shouldn't be used for more than three months at a time."

I think the most natural way is just changing your way of thinking.

EscapeArtist

for me, Valerian root didn't do anything except give me horrifyingly real dreams.. I would wake up and be shocked and scared out of my mind by the reality of it. I guess you could say my anxiety went down because I was still scarred by the dreams throughout the day to care lol.

I have heard about hops and passionflower but have not tried either one... St John's Wort keeps coming up in threads too, but I haven't tried that, I find the feedback on it to vary a lot, I've heard it doesn't do anything from some people.
I've tried rhodiola rosea.. it didn't do much for me but I think after a month of taking it I did see minor improvement. It was good for a lot of other things too, energy, less of depression, it did lessen my anxiety but it worked so slowly that it's hard to see. Many health benefits seeing it's an adaptogen

For short term kava kava works really well when necessary, there aren't any negative health effects. I take it when it's absolutely necessary, around 20 minutes before I have to do whatever it is I know I won't do otherwise (sometimes just going to school). I don't know if you've tried it, it makes you unbelievably calm, I always keep some just in case.

Edit: I don't believe you can find a permanent natural 'cure'... It's all mental, eventually we just have to face our fears, it's the only way out, but for temporary situations natural remedies can be helpful.

Last edited:

Iseesky

Funny you should say that, because I continue to take Valerian every once in awhile for the dreams it gives me. ::p:

exquisite

for me, Valerian root didn't do anything except give me horrifyingly real dreams.. I would wake up and be shocked and scared out of my mind by the reality of it. I guess you could say my anxiety went down because I was still scarred by the dreams throughout the day to care lol.

I have heard about hops and passionflower but have not tried either one... St John's Wort keeps coming up in threads too, but I haven't tried that, I find the feedback on it to vary a lot, I've heard it doesn't do anything from some people.
I've tried rhodiola rosea.. it didn't do much for me but I think after a month of taking it I did see minor improvement. It was good for a lot of other things too, energy, less of depression, it did lessen my anxiety but it worked so slowly that it's hard to see. Many health benefits seeing it's an adaptogen

For short term kava kava works really well when necessary, there aren't any negative health effects. I take it when it's absolutely necessary, around 20 minutes before I have to do whatever it is I know I won't do otherwise (sometimes just going to school). I don't know if you've tried it, it makes you unbelievably calm, I always keep some just in case.

Edit: I don't believe you can find a permanent natural 'cure'... It's all mental, eventually we just have to face our fears, it's the only way out, but for temporary situations natural remedies can be helpful.

where in the heck can i get some of that kava kava? lol

staticreflex

When u say natural thing, something like CBT is what comes to mind rather than herbs and such which have debatable effects

EscapeArtist

where in the heck can i get some of that kava kava? lol

I don't know whether it's legal in the Ukraine...hhmm. It's not "legal" in Canada but nobody cares. It was banned because it was originally claimed to harm the liver, but not if you get pure root powder or extract, the root does no damage.

I buy it from the US online (how the heck is something legal in the US but not Canada??? CRAZY)

I get it from Konakavafarm they're reliable, and if your order doesn't arrive they send you another one. :] nice guy who runs it.

It will make you feel a little bit dazed but soo relaxed. It's so much more natural for short term uses than say Xanax or something stupid that the major corporations are making millions off of, plus it's not addictive.

exquisite

I don't know whether it's legal in the Ukraine...hhmm. It's not "legal" in Canada but nobody cares. It was banned because it was originally claimed to harm the liver, but not if you get pure root powder or extract, the root does no damage.

I buy it from the US online (how the heck is something legal in the US but not Canada??? CRAZY)

I get it from Konakavafarm they're reliable, and if your order doesn't arrive they send you another one. :] nice guy who runs it.

It will make you feel a little bit dazed but soo relaxed. It's so much more natural for short term uses than say Xanax or something stupid that the major corporations are making millions off of, plus it's not addictive.

i actually live in the states, just born in ukraine, thats why it my location. lol but its legal in the us? see, my only issue is does it work for everyone? & i'd be afraid to try it..can i drive, go to work/classes, etc? which form have you tried? capsules, tea, etc?

Last edited:

Feathers

CBT= Cognitive behavioural therapy

I recommend The Feeling Good Handbook by Dr David Burns as introduction.
There are other good books on the topic too... And some books for shyness/social anxiety/communication specifically.

I'd stay away from any supplements and try CBT and journalling or such first.
You might also want to check your nutrition on fitday.com or Cronometer first, if you might be lacking any minerals/vitamins, and then find food sources for those, maybe get tested too.. Some people might have food sensitivities/allergies, so you might want to consult a nutricionist or knowledgeable doctor or such.

You might also try EFT (emofree.com) or TAT (tatlife.com) - free pdf manuals online. Some people (including me) found them helpful for some things, though I've read an account online that said CBT was better for that guy. I've known of CBT first though, and used it in combination.

Last edited:

sleeper

I have recently started a CBT program so I will let everyone know how it goes. It is supposed to be very effective for various types of anxiety. If you can function without med's or natural supplements that's great, but many people do this program and take something at the same time (inculding me). I guess it all depends how functional you are without taking anything. By learning the coping skills you need, you may be able to get off the med's sooner than if you didn't seek any help.