My therapy kinda ended, and I'm not feeling much better

After avoiding it for quite some time, two months ago I finally managed to seek for professional help with university psychologist. After telling her which were my problems and my circumstances, we figured out what should I do in order to improve my life. To keep it short, we arrived to this conclusions:

I need to get a job (that doesn't interfere with my studies, of course). That will allow me to gain the resources and a bit of the independence I need in order to build a social life. Once I'm no longer worrying about not having money even to take a bus to go someplace different than the university, I should start to looking for groups of people with common interests on my area, and join them. By doing all this, I must take those chances of hanging out with people for improving my social skills, specially when it comes about expressing my feelings. Also once I start building a social life, I must learn that as long as I do it responsibly, I must not hold back myself and not worry if my parents aren't happy about it, basically, that I must live my own life and enjoy the things I like regardless of what others may think. That's if for what I should do, and I'm now looking for the job and willing to do the other things.

What's the problem then?

That I'm not very enthusiastic about it. Despite I'm doing it, right now I don't have any motivation. Not having a miserably lonely life should be enough motivation I guess, but that's not working. Is sad but I feel that at some point all that effort is pointless. I'm not getting any validation (or well, may be a little, but surely not as much as I'll like) on my life, in the sense of getting a hope that some day someone will like to be something more than a friend. And for me that's the purpose of improving my social skills. I know I'm jumping into conclusions, but is very discouraging to see others get that validation spontaneously (even if they may not notice it themselves) while I don't.

I told this to the psychologist and she said that unfortunately there is not a real external source of motivation, that such will to get the things we want is something we build from the inside, to the point that we'll only get something if we really want to do it. After that, we didn't scheduled an appointment for next week, so I guess the tacit agreement is that she has already told me what I needed to know, and now is all up to me.

But there's the problem, I have no motivation, I feel the effort is pointless, and probably my self esteem is at rock bottom (something that unfortunately academic success doesn't fix). I am going to do the things she recommended, but I don't know what am I going to do to feel better about myself.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Being depressed can really put a damper on that whole motivation to get your butt moving thing. It's always hard to pull yourself by your own bootstraps.

I sort of get the sense that your shrink was giving you general cookie-cutter advice, and that you could have had a better one.

D

deleted #89

" I'm not getting any validation " " unfortunately there is not a real external source of motivation" Those 2 quotes are from your post.

Look dude you have to understand that looking for validation outside of yourself is what keeps you in that cycle. Your looking for something that you have inside of you. Your motivations,goals,inspiration are all inside of you. Try hard and look for them because nobody or anything can give it to you. Remember that at the end of the day you are fighting this anxiety alone and for no reason. Stop fighting it and go do what you want IN-SPITE of having anxiety. Anxiety = hesitating. I have seen plenty of therapist been to at least 4 support groups for anxiety, taken medication, read books, meditation, alcohol, hiding, isolating myself. At the end of the day do you know why these things don't make you feel better in the long run? Because when you seek help from all kinds of places you are FORGETTING/IGNORING your own power. I want a life so I cannot give a fudge of what people see and think of me. Trust me this is the hardest part but anyone can do it.