My 'The devil wears Prada' moment

w*n*c*a*m

ok so I just had a job interview this morning as a 'personal carer' for a lady with disability. But mind you, this lady acts so highly and mighty, never seems to smile and reminds me of the woman in 'The devil wears Prada'. She's even a designer... coincidence. lol!... And no I wasn't like the Anne Hathaway who got accepted, actually it was the opposite because she really knows how to grill a person alive! We had a talk for 45 minutes and most of my responses are like an epic failure for her. And I admit that I didn't really do well there, partly my fault too... I tend to be too honest (my weakness lol) and I think I've pissed her more. So I went out relieved and a little bit disappointed (although I wasn't too enthusiastic about getting that position after I've talked to her). This was even confirmed by another lady because when I went out of the elevator, she asked... "So how was it?" I said "Really bad"... and she replied "She's such a difficult lady is she" so I guess the interviewer really has a nasty reputation... So I think that was the end of it.... I know she was rude and everything but I almost texted her if I could volunteer for her instead. Weird me, right? But I didn't because I don't want sound so casual or so into her.

But then... I suddenly received a message from her saying if I want to prove myself to her again. A part of me doesn't wanna try anymore coz I'm expecting that I would fail her again... and a part of me wants to accept just for the heck'a challenge... and because she's so intriguing... I dunno.
Well I've asked a friend and he said "don't do it because she's a rude lady and you'll just make her more proud of herself because she would think that you are so into that job! And she doesn't really like you, she's just so into herself. You'll just waste your time there"... but it's not it. I wanna try l to get the job but even if I don't get accepted, I want to seriously volunteer.

And so the crazy me responded that I would love to go there but if I ever fail, I also asked if I could volunteer sometimes. And I even added "And yes I am serious"... I know that was a crazy too casual message but I don't know why she intrigues me so much. I am just too curious when it comes to difficult people. Weird weird me.

Anyway, what do you think, guys??? Was that a totally crazy decision or it's just fine.

Any reaction???

Moa

Would you be quitting another job to go for this one? If not, just go for it. You can always quit if you don't like it. You can also go do the second interview for the experience, it doesn't mean you have to take the job.

If you would be quitting a job to go to this one, if the job is offered to you, then you have a lot more to think about! :)

Sartana

I hate to sound paranoid or a bit of a downer, but from your description she sounds like a bit of a sadist. Like she's doing this to grill people.

WeirdyMcGee

I've worked for her personality 'type' before and it really is a bit like the movie, too... they prefer anyone who will be close to them to not be the type of person to give up.

So, if you like a challenge- sure.
If you're not a person who liked to be challenged at every turn, I'd probably back off... because once she hires you; it'll be challenge, challenge, challenge every day.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Funny I directed a reinacted scene of 'Devil Wears Parada' before.

I worked for somebody like this too before and ended up challenging them to a duel. I'm still here. So... :)

But seriously, what Weirdy said, I think it's a good thing, I mean if they end up having endearing qualities beneath her reputation and personality, some simply don't... I think you should go for it, can always quit, and never know what can happen later...

w*n*c*a*m

Actually, I did go this morning. Crazy decision haha. And Oh my Gosh! People like her do really exist. I am wondering if she even gets tired yelling orders. She is so particular about everything. Even her cupboards have numbers. The type of glasses for her tea should be the same. There are different labels that you should put to surfaces. When you offer something to her, she wants you to shut up because you're disturbing her. But when you don't ask, then she'll get mad too! I've got a share of scoldings but it wasn't so terrible with the others because I was still a newbie. She will make you feel that you are a total failure when you disappoint her (which is most of the time)... eg. "you should put the linens 4 fingers away from the edge", "why can't you find it? use your brain' "you are making my life miserable" "stop... stop... STOP!!!!" "I said front... do you know front?".... yada yada!
And I was acting so retarded too, because I always forget to keep my mouth shut when she scolds me. Eg. (when I couldn't find the cupboard ) Lady: Why are you asking me??? You quit easily! Me: Uhhmmm... because I thought that asking you was just a fine idea?
Lady: Do this... Me: How am I supposed to do it if I'm busy doing this too.
Lady: Just do it!!! Me: OK OK
Anyway, in the end I've passed the assessment. But seriously, I am not really into that job. She looks down at us and she makes us feel that we've got to be her slave because she gives money. I couldn't even remember her saying thank you. S

But hey, that was also a good experience. It helped me stay alert for her instructions. be more observant with the surroundings, and be more patient too etc.