My story - hate how much it affects everything I do...

uksam

Hi everyone, I'd like to share my story. Its useful for me to write it out and take a step back and see how much it has affected me, but I'd also like to hear of any similarities with other hh sufferers here.

I first noticed at about 14, and started wearing t-shirts under my school shirt to stop the sweat showing through. It got much worse at college/6th form, largely due to increased anxiety, caused by being sweaty, causing more anxiety (that old circle). I ended up resorting to changing the t-shirts once I got there. I'd have to get to college early just so I could cool down and dry myself off.

I discovered driclor, which has helped a lot, but now it has all moved to my face and my head. I've used driclor on my face and it helps a bit, but I've got no idea what I can do about my head.. I've tried sage in many forms, cut caffeine for 6 weeks, no changes.

I hate how much of my life it has affected. I didn't apply to medicine because of it (who wants a sweaty, anxious doctor right?), whether I go somewhere/do something depends on if its close - if not its a high risk of being sweaty, clammy and flustered. I arrive really early for lectures because if I don't, I get anxious of the full room, sweaty, more anxious and so on.

It's holding me back now for deciding which grad jobs to apply for, for example I keep checking where somewhere is in relation to transport so I wouldn't have to walk far - its ridiculous. I've noticed that anytime I think of doing something, the very first thought that crosses my mind is will I be sweaty if I do this. It's really depressing.

I appreciate that visually my hh may not be as bad as others here, but it causes me a huge deal of anxiety and is really holding me back. I just wondered if anyone has some coping mechanisms in that regard?

Thanks all, really looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Apologies if this sort of thing isn't done, I'm new here :)

hyp-hi

I hear ya. HH really does effect what we do in our lives. I definitely don't go out as much as I might if I didn't have HH. It's effected my education, job, and social life. Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Sprawling

HH had an effect on a lot of my life choices. Despite all I became social, ran social groups, married, had a child, got divorced, had girlfriends and mostly with sweaty hands. The other option was becoming a recluse.

Now at 54, sweaty hands is the least of my problems. Having severe fibromyalgia destroyed my career, alters how ionto works, or doesn't work. Sometimes my hands are dry, sometimes not. Despite all, I still run social groups when I can, despite the sweat and fibro. Now only if I was able to work. Being home bound at times due to pain really sucks!

Hey, life goes on with or without us. Make best of the drip and slip, slide away.

jaim38

Hi and welcome to the forum! I suffer from HH too. To makes things worse I live in a region where temperatures can get up to 110 degrees in the summer. I can't walk outside for 5-10 minutes without sweating through my shirt. I try to sit in the back whenever possible so people don't see my sweat stains. I bring a sweater with me almost everywhere I go to cover up sweat stains if needed. Some people use baby (talcum) powder and wear 2 layers of shirts, and I think it helps cover up sweat stains even though it can make you feel hotter.

uksam

I hear ya. HH really does effect what we do in our lives. I definitely don't go out as much as I might if I didn't have HH. It's effected my education, job, and social life. Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Yeah, my education has definitely suffered. I skipped lectures so I wasn't sitting dripping with sweat in a room full of people. It got so routine, I just didn't go to lectures in one particular room as it was always too warm (for me). A quarter of lectures one year were in there, no surprise I bombed the exams at the end of the year...

Thanks for the welcome

uksam

I'm so fed up with how much anxiety and depression its causing me. I'm applying for jobs but am worrying the whole time, not whether my application is good enough or whether I'll get it, but just that I'll be sweaty at interview or at the job if I get it.

Its really crushing my confidence.

metal82a

Have you tried Avert/robinul? I was just like you. Started sweating crazy at 13, tried all different crap without success. When I was 34 I went to see a derm to see if there was anything new I could try and she instantly prescribed Robinul to me. 2mg 2xday. It has been a miracle for me. I've had minimal side effects. I can't tell you how much it has changed me. I would suggest trying it if you haven't yet. Good luck. You are not alone!!

uksam

Have you tried Avert/robinul? I was just like you. Started sweating crazy at 13, tried all different crap without success. When I was 34 I went to see a derm to see if there was anything new I could try and she instantly prescribed Robinul to me. 2mg 2xday. It has been a miracle for me. I've had minimal side effects. I can't tell you how much it has changed me. I would suggest trying it if you haven't yet. Good luck. You are not alone!!

I haven't tried yet no, but I've tried everything else so the next step would be to see a gp to get a referral to a derm to see if I can get it. But the tablets aren't licenced here in the UK so not everyone's derm will be willing to prescribe it.

However online from .ca might be an option, just need to find the right time to spend the money and give it a try.