My new obsession is this girl.... and i ****ing hate it

yesnomaybe

I hope that my experience is able to help you out some, rodinski. It's not coincidental that you can relate to my thoughts on the subject. Just about everything that you're saying matches my experience.

i first went to my general practitioner with my problem. big mistake. she thought that i was just going through a depression, so she prescribed an SSRI. well, the SSRI didn't help any. matter of fact, it made things worse. turns out that i'm diagnosed as bipolar 2, and when you're bipolar 2, starting off with SSRIs can actually make things worse, which they did.

so i went to a pro - a real, full blown psychiatrist. i found me the oldest guy in town. my guess is he's in his late seventies or early eighties. sometimes i fear that he's going to fall over when he walks around in his office. i get the urge to walk behind him so i can catch him. but let me tell you, his mind is SHARP! the older they are, the more experience they have, is the way I see it. and experience is gold.

so anyway, the doc diagnosed me and put me on an anti-convulsant that is known to stabilize people with bipolar disorder (lamotrigen, brand name known as lamictal). so that was the plan, first get the symptoms stabilized, then get as close to a cure as possible.

around the same time, he also put me on buproprion (brand name wellbutrin), which is an anti-depressant, but not an SSRI, which give me intolerable side effects.

between those two meds, after about a year of tweaking them, we finally found the sweet spot. the entire nightmare, however, lasted well over two years.

interestingly, buproprion is not supposed to help with obsession disorders. however, it works wonders on me. if i miss a dose of it, my mind goes right back to dysfunctional.

even though it took a year working with the pysch doc to get the desired result, i was able to gradually notice minor improvements throughout that entire time. it took a lot of patience though; the experience was a roller coaster ride.

so, long story short, get yourself a good psychiatrist. not a psychologist or counselor, who can't prescribe meds. the big guns are needed in this situation. next, have him/her give you a diagnosis and an action plan, and take it from there.

baby steps. nothing will happen all at once. keep a journal the entire time. make note of the slightest changes in your physiology. do your own research. the doctor is not a god. they make mistakes too. (i actually had it out with mine one time, over his diagnosis. a full blown argument. i really upset him and he started firing back. he said to me: "listen, i've been doing this since before they had meds! people would sit on that couch there <he pointed> and do my therapy exercises, and eventually they got better!" and so on and so forth.

even though i was upset at the time, looking back, my argument with him was a hoot. it has to be rare when a patient causes the *psychiatrist* to lose his cool. i'm quite proud of that. anyway, the next time that I saw him i apologized for my behavior and he, being a class act, dismissed the entire thing.

in the meantime, i highly recommend that you seriously consider the suggestions that i made in the first thread. the advice that i give helped me out tremendously.

i hope that my experience with the doc and meds gives you an idea of what you can expect. people have been exactly where you are right now and made it out just fine. soon enough you'll fall in that category as well.

Although I do not think I have OCD (but I am not sure) I do have social phobia.
What "rodinski" wrote and "yesnomaybe" I can so much relate too.
What I am most disappointed with is that it was mostly my own fault.
I put myself through most of it.
Yes, it was a girl I was completely mad about. I cannot say she was the nicest to me
the way she acted but when I look back I could have just avoided it all.
There were red flags that I overlooked which I shouldn't have.

On the flip side I was wondering for a long time if she is just like me socially phobic and
she really was trying in her way to keep in touch with me but as "yesnomaybe" said this is just part of the curse.

I analyzed everything that had happened to the smallest detail for so many yeras. Until one day I told myself it is time to let go.
She probably does not remember you anymore and has way moved on and here you are still thinking about it. I do sometimes still think
about it as I am here posting this but it is not as it use to be when the thought just upset me and made me anxious.

I haven't spoken or talked or even seen her for almost 4 years. It scares me a bit. I really have no idea how I would react if I
ever bumped into her again.
I am afraid all those feelings might just relapse all back.

I can honestly say that the whole thing changed me. I am not the man I
once was. I am not sure if this is for better or worse. It was a learning
experience however I must say.

Thank you guys for posting this.

I am new here so hi everybody :)

yesnomaybe

Although I do not think I have OCD (but I am not sure) I do have social phobia.

I wonder whether I really have Obsessive Disorder myself. I'm certainly obsessed with this one girl/incident, but I've been functional with all other aspects of my life. Although I have noticed small quirks about me ever since then, like repeating sentences in my head many times over. Things that I normally overlooked because they didn't adversely affect me.

What I am most disappointed with is that it was mostly my own fault. I put myself through most of it.

I completely agree. I blew my circumstance COMPLETELY out of proportion. My suffering was/is a direct result of ME - not anyone else.

I haven't spoken or talked or even seen her for almost 4 years. It scares me a bit. I really have no idea how I would react if I ever bumped into her again.I am afraid all those feelings might just relapse all back.

From my experience yesterday, I now realize that I have no desire to go back to those days. What for? My life is simple now. Simple is good.

I can honestly say that the whole thing changed me. I am not the man I once was. I am not sure if this is for better or worse. It was a learning experience however I must say.

I don't see how anyone can remain the same. It opened my eyes to things that I would have never truly understood.

Thank you guys for posting this.

Talking about it is good. This conversation is helping me just as much as it's helping rodinski.[/QUOTE]

I am new here so hi everybody :)

Hi to you as well. Thanks for contributing to the conversation.

I wonder whether I really have Obsessive Disorder myself. I'm certainly obsessed with this one girl/incident, but I've been functional with all other aspects of my life. Although I have noticed small quirks about me ever since then, like repeating sentences in my head many times over. Things that I normally overlooked because they didn't adversely affect me.
Yes, I have it exactly the same. For instance, strange as it may sound
I go over things in my head and talk to myself. That is, I used to imagine
what I would say to the girl if I ever saw her again. This I went over
and over and talked to myself in a sentence or two. I never used to
do things like this. So this is the aspect of me that has changed after
the "incident" as "yesnomaybe" put it. I think it's more along the lines
that I truly did not get closure and was not able to deal out all the feelings
I had. My self to blame of course.

I completely agree. I blew my circumstance COMPLETELY out of proportion. My suffering was/is a direct result of ME - not anyone else.
I cannot say how much I agree with this from learning the hard way. I let my feelings
get the best of me. I still do sometimes but I am trying to change this.

From my experience yesterday, I now realize that I have no desire to go back to those days. What for? My life is simple now. Simple is good.
Well you are correct there. I guess I am a dreamer and think maybe we will meet again
under different circumstances and everything will be right. Letting go is something I
have not mastered yet.

I don't see how anyone can remain the same. It opened my eyes to things that I would have never truly understood.
Lessons of life I guess.

Talking about it is good. This conversation is helping me just as much as it's helping rodinski.
Yes, let's keep it going and others can benfit from this.

I would like to contribute that I do not have the best self esteem also this is
very likely because of my social phobia.
I have done a few Google searches for "self help" books and I have three what I would
like to recommend.

Mind over Mood:
Amazon.com: Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think (9780898621280): Dennis Greenberger, Christine Padesky: Books

The Confidence to be Yourself: How to Boost Your Self-esteem:
The Confidence to be Yourself: How to Boost Your Self-esteem: Amazon.co.uk: Brian Roet: Books

Overcoming Low Self-esteem: Self-help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioural Techniques
Overcoming Low Self-esteem: Self-help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioural Techniques: Amazon.co.uk: Melanie Fennell: Books

I think my problem is the social phobia and "lowselfworth".
A leathel combination.

yesnomaybe

Yes, I have it exactly the same. For instance, strange as it may sound I go over things in my head and talk to myself. That is, I used to imagine

i'm stunned. you just described me.

i'm especially bad when i'm in the car. not only will i repeat scenarios and the response that i should have given, but i also obsess about the response that i *might* give if i ever have a chance. words will sneak out of my lips. sometimes i'll blurt out profanities.

who am i kidding... i'm still screwed up, just not as bad.

the same goes with the closure, or the lack thereof I should say. the second and last time that i spoke with them, the primary person was only interested in justifying her bahavior and placing blame. she never acknowledged *anything* that she did. she raised her voice at me while i maintained a calm composure. i did my best to keep the coversation construcive, but it was utterly futile. who's the monster here? really? 'the friend' simply listened. i think that deep down inside she *got it*. their behavior, my circumstance, the hardship that i must have suffered. when i asked them to quit screwing with me in the hallway, she blurted, "you told us to leave you...", and then her voice dropped and she got a different look on her face. i saw the light bulb over her. she finally got it, how i'd been treated.

the conversation was so pointless, i became so frustrated that I finally threw my hands in the air and blurted: f*** it! nothing's going to change! things are going to stay exactly like they are! and i am going to CONTINUE to leave you alone." (i've repeated that phrase in my mind thousands of time, by the way.) then i walked out.

i never got a chance to say what i really wanted to say. i had the chance, and i blew it. no closure.

i'm stunned. you just described me.

i'm especially bad when i'm in the car. not only will i repeat scenarios and the response that i should have given, but i also obsess about the response that i *might* give if i ever have a chance. words will sneak out of my lips. sometimes i'll blurt out profanities.

who am i kidding... i'm still screwed up, just not as bad.

the same goes with the closure, or the lack thereof I should say. the second and last time that i spoke with them, the primary person was only interested in justifying her bahavior and placing blame. she never acknowledged *anything* that she did. she raised her voice at me while i maintained a calm composure. i did my best to keep the coversation construcive, but it was utterly futile. who's the monster here? really? 'the friend' simply listened. i think that deep down inside she *got it*. their behavior, my circumstance, the hardship that i must have suffered. when i asked them to quit screwing with me in the hallway, she blurted, "you told us to leave you...", and then her voice dropped and she got a different look on her face. i saw the light bulb over her. she finally got it, how i'd been treated.

the conversation was so pointless, i became so frustrated that I finally threw my hands in the air and blurted: f*** it! nothing's going to change! things are going to stay exactly like they are! and i am going to CONTINUE to leave you alone." (i've repeated that phrase in my mind thousands of time, by the way.) then i walked out.

i never got a chance to say what i really wanted to say. i had the chance, and i blew it. no closure.
Well as said, "it takes one to know one"

Getting closure is important even if things do not work out. I think it is
not good for a person to carry "demons". I have learned this from my
own life experiences. So "forgive and forget" or make a mess of things
but get the closure.

I am not master at this I am still learning these things.

yesnomaybe

The fact that I still think about the closure shows me that I'm not completely over it. Why should closure with this person be so important to me? She's insignificant. Then again, she didid unintentionally devastate my life, and never displayed an ounce of remorse for it. I should at least be allowed one awesome, screamed at the top of my lungs, F*** Y** B****! And then flipping her off would be nice.

:)

Doing the right thing (and leaving her alone) sucks. I'm still waiting for that warm fuzzy feeling to materialize.

rodinski

Yes, I have it exactly the same. For instance, strange as it may sound
I go over things in my head and talk to myself. That is, I used to imagine

I cannot say how much I agree with this from learning the hard way. I let my feelings
get the best of me. I still do sometimes but I am trying to change this.

This is exactly the same thing for me. I make up scenarios on how to talk to her and how she would respond. I still have dreams about her, now they are dreams about me competing with her.

rodinski

The fact that I still think about the closure shows me that I'm not completely over it. Why should closure with this person be so important to me? She's insignificant. Then again, she didid unintentionally devastate my life, and never displayed an ounce of remorse for it. I should at least be allowed one awesome, screamed at the top of my lungs, F*** Y** B****! And then flipping her off would be nice.

Doing the right thing (and leaving her alone) sucks. I'm still waiting for that warm fuzzy feeling to materialize.

This is pretty much exactly what is going on in my mind. Ugh.

And now my parents are attempting to close a lot of doors for me as things are getting really nerve racking for me. They want me to stop talking/listening to these events that other people share, look up my condition, or go on to the websites that I enjoy, as I'm having troubles concentrating on my work. First year engineering is a bitch sometimes.

Other then that, I need to stay away from coffee. Yesterday was horriable for me. I had 3 16oz cups, and this really sugary English Toffee Coffee because I was only running off of 3 hours of sleep and had....I dunno, a huge long ass day to complete. By the end of the day of not eating and just coffee, well, lets just say my anxities took over and I couldn't even function. This weekend is going to be a bitch now that I'm behind. What a waste of an amazing mind.

...I should at least be allowed one awesome, screamed at the top of my lungs, F*** Y** B****! And then flipping her off would be nice.

I was just like that. That is, I wanted to tell her off.
I never did. I kept trying to tell myself that this is my own
doing. I raised my expectations to high and set my set up for
a big disappointment. I try, let me say that again, "try" nowadays
to instead of pointing fingers I point them back at myself.
What ever if went through with her was mostly my own doing.
I cannot say that it is completely fair to put all the blame on her.
Who knows maybe she suffered from it too.

Doing the right thing is never easy. It's easier to be bad then good.

yesnomaybe

And now my parents are attempting to close a lot of doors for me as things are getting really nerve racking for me. They want me to stop talking/listening to these events that other people share, look up my condition, or go on to the websites that I enjoy, as I'm having troubles concentrating on my work. First year engineering is a bitch sometimes.

Other then that, I need to stay away from coffee. Yesterday was horriable for me. I had 3 16oz cups, and this really sugary English Toffee Coffee because I was only running off of 3 hours of sleep and had....I dunno, a huge long ass day to complete. By the end of the day of not eating and just coffee, well, lets just say my anxities took over and I couldn't even function. This weekend is going to be a bitch now that I'm behind. What a waste of an amazing mind.

Feeling the way we do and focusing our blame on them is normal. It gives us someone to blame, which helps us vent. The truth is, though, she didn't devastate my life - neither intentionally or unintentionally. And the female in your circumstance did not devastate your life either. The DISEASE devastated our life.

The girls are just being, well, girls. That's what they do when they come across a creepy guy. We have the cooties and are scary. They are supposed to run away from us. (Sorry for the sexist remarks ladies.)

So, yeah, we can blame them if it helps us vent, but the truth is, they're not responsible for what we're going through.

This is exactly the same thing for me.
I make up scenarios on how to talk to her and how she would respond.
I still have dreams about her, now they are dreams about me competing
with her.

My friend, I have been in that exact same place.

I once had a dream (very Freudian I must add) where I was standing
on a long and high pole trying to maintain balance talking to this girl.
She was on top of the pole as well. I was holding an umbrella and
when I looked down their were two of my friends.

I think the dream was about my insecurity/anxiousness.
The pole I was trying to maintain my balance on was probably a
representation of selfesteem. The friends I perceived as a threat.
Again my low self esteem talking. The umbrella was social phobia.

yesnomaybe

Feeling the way we do and focusing our blame on them is normal. It gives us someone to blame, which helps us vent. The truth is, though, she didn't devastate my life - neither intentionally or unintentionally. And the female in your circumstance did not devastate your life either. The DISEASE devastated our life.

The girls are just being, well, girls. That's what they do when they come across a creepy guy. We have the cooties and are scary. They are supposed to run away from us. (Sorry for the sexist remarks ladies.)

So, yeah, we can blame them if it helps us vent, but the truth is, they're not responsible for what we're going through.

There's wisdom in your parent's advice. The important thing about a forum like this is it helps u realize that you're not alone. Ultimately, your professional healthcare provider is who u listen to.

...well, lets just say my anxities took over
and I couldn't even function. This weekend is going to be a bitch
now that I'm behind. What a waste of an amazing mind.
I think your parents are passed these things in life and are trying to guide
you through this. They know what it's like. Chances are that they have
been their themselves.
I am also an engineering student (computer science) and I perfectly know that
stress and social distress is not good for your school work.

rodinski

Well, you know what, we should gain some confidence. It isn't like we did anything horriably wrong here. It isn't our faults we were born with this.

Look at it this way, when we "creeped" them out and still continue to have these anxieties around them, even though we would like for it to all just be done and over with it, we told them about our condition. If they choose to blow it out of proportion, that isn't your fault, that is theirs. If they can't just let it go, then they are the ones exploiting your condition.

And it pisses me off with this girl. It really friggen does. I have no idea what she is playing now, but ever since she knows that I hang around with one of "our" friends, she now is beginning to hang around her and hang around my place where I like to work. Isn't that just swell. It's funny, when all this began and she kept looking my way at school and stuff, she started to become really good friends with one of my really good friends sister (that I'm hanging around with now). They became really good friends and they "completed" each other. But get this, when she started to show signs of "no interest", she barely even talks to her anymore. And not only that, first while of school starts, she doesn't hang around with her at all. Now ever since that time her and her other good friend sat with us, she has been going back to that spot all the time now. ****ing great.

And yet, unless she is absolutely retarded, would have noticed I'm not quiet around anyone else, only her. So what game she is playing is beyond me and it is beginning to really piss me off.

Noca

Banned
Hehe. Zoloft is working a lot better then prozac. The things I have heard others who are on prozac, it doesn't work well for them. Right now my body is still adjusting to Zoloft and I think it might be settling down now. I'm expect to go up to or around 300-400mg a day.

Zoloft's maximum recommended dosage is 200mgs.

I am not talking to a professional. I wonder if I should.
I would also not like to get dependent on meds either.
Anybody trying to go cold turkey like I am?