My mom thinks that

dannyboy65

Over the past year I have done nothing but tried to better myself. It's been the hardest year of my life. Tonight my mom called me a dead beat loser and a brat and that I need to get a job and get out. After all I've done for her for everyone in my life this is what they think of me.....

ImNotMyIllness

No. That's not what they think of you. Your mom probably said that in anger. Maybe she thought you were being ungrateful?
Don't take it personally. Parents seem to say the cruelest things. She obviously doesn't understand mental illness and how difficult your life is. You've been inspirational to everyone on this forum!! You really have come far-Don't quit and use this comment as an excuse to backtrack. We expect more of our family members but for some reason they are usually the ones to let us down-Just the way it is......

Continue with your progress. Maybe one day you can be a life coach? All of these hardships are lessons that you'll eventually pass on to another.

dannyboy65

No. That's not what they think of you. Your mom probably said that in anger. Maybe she thought you were being ungrateful?
Don't take it personally. Parents seem to say the cruelest things. She obviously doesn't understand mental illness and how difficult your life is. You've been inspirational to everyone on this forum!! You really have come far-Don't quit and use this comment as an excuse to backtrack. We expect more of our family members but for some reason they are usually the ones to let us down-Just the way it is......

Continue with your progress. Maybe one day you can be a life coach? All of these hardships are lessons that you'll eventually pass on to another.

Even if it was in anger it hit me hard and it seeped in she then told me after that because of me she should leave the family and she would be a lot happier, putting all the blame on me.

ImNotMyIllness

Even if it was in anger it hit me hard and it seeped in she then told me after that because of me she should leave the family and she would be a lot happier, putting all the blame on me.

Sounds like your mom has her own issues! Just focus and keep moving forward. Eventually you can move out and get your own place.

April72

Oh, Danny! I understand how bad you are feeling. It was a tough and an insesitive remark from your mum. I know she didn't mean to say this. I'm sure she doesn't feel it, but noone can say this to another person. Noone is a loser.

Take your time to be angry because you have the right to be in this way. When you have the strenght said to Your mother how mistaken she is and don't let this remark ruin the good you achived in Your recovering.

You know what happen, people sometimes say (me included) so insensitive remarks because we don't understand how bad is a depression and how much strenght is needed to overcome it. I think Your mother had a moment of desperation and blame you instead of her, because she doesn't know how to help you properly.
Be patience!

THeCARS1979

Over the past year I have done nothing but tried to better myself. It's been the hardest year of my life. Tonight my mom called me a dead beat loser and a brat and that I need to get a job and get out. After all I've done for her for everyone in my life this is what they think of me.....

Sometimes family members arent the ones to listen to Do you have a friend or 2 you can talk to?

Sopie123

I understand how you feel,some families just don't understand or are too selfish to try and understand what it feels like to have anxiety,you just have to keep fighting,you can do it,we are here for you.

Last edited:

April72

Danny, i also had to hear two remarks similar to yours.
They suck but I know they didn't want to say such a thing, they were fustrated bc of my problems and chosen the wrong time and the wrong words.
This is why communication with your loved people is so important.

Last edited:

That's an unacceptable thing to say to anyone, especially your own children. It sounds to me like she's using you as a scapegoat for her own frustration without really understanding why.

I'm sorry she treats you like that, it's must be very toxic. Especially when you feel like you've done nothing but try your hardest. Try to remember that the way she feels is primarily her own problem and that you're doing good by facing your problems head on.