My friendships never seem to last

Diend

I guess it hurts even more when you are constantly making and losing friendships. For me, I try to have sincere relationships but people are always moving everywhere. I guess I have to focus on the people who will constantly be living in my city. my goal was to make more friends, but i never anticipated friendships falling apart so easily. it is really disappointing to invest time and effort just to see it disappear.

elusive

I feel the same way...nothing seems permanent to me. In some ways, I think its could be just myself because I didn't want to continue to the distant friendship or got in my head that they are too busy to still by my friend. The truth is that stuff happens to everyone and it is uncontrollable in our own frame of mind. As we transition into different aspects of life (like elementary, junior high, senior high, college, different jobs, changing roles, moving states, or trying different activities)... people come an go into our lives.

Just keep investing in that time, because that is who you are. If you become self-conscious over every interaction, its will consume you and you will feel disappointed. Loss is a part of life and people do enter and leave our lives. Who knows, with social media you can always reach back out to them if you travel or they visit from a different place.

anomicdeer

The thing for me. I use to always move and as long as I live with my mother we will somehow always be moving away from somewhere. I would like to be able to get a job finally and for it to be stable and I get my own place and get myself together and maybe find someone who will be willing to stay by my side. Right now things seem to not ever work out for me.

dannyboy65

I know how you feel. Before I joined the autism foundation I only had one friend. Since I joined the autism foundation though I have gained a bunch of new friends. My advice to you is maybe join a foundation or club where you can meet new people with similar interests and bond, that's what I did and I don't regret it.

MikeyC

I feel the same way...nothing seems permanent to me. In some ways, I think its could be just myself because I didn't want to continue to the distant friendship or got in my head that they are too busy to still by my friend. The truth is that stuff happens to everyone and it is uncontrollable in our own frame of mind. As we transition into different aspects of life (like elementary, junior high, senior high, college, different jobs, changing roles, moving states, or trying different activities)... people come an go into our lives.

Just keep investing in that time, because that is who you are. If you become self-conscious over every interaction, its will consume you and you will feel disappointed. Loss is a part of life and people do enter and leave our lives. Who knows, with social media you can always reach back out to them if you travel or they visit from a different place.
I wanted to say exactly this. As we travel through life, we change, and in turn, people who we're friends with also change. It doesn't mean you hate these people, or that they hate you, but your paths in life have changed and you've moved on.

And elusive is correct: social media keeps everyone connected so if you really wanted to rekindle the friendship you can always try to find them there. :)

bsammy

at least you guys have a valid reason for the friendships not lasting, your friends moved away..i cant maintain friendships with people that live within 15 minutes of my place..i think its a combination of age, different work schedules, hobbies dont mesh well anymore, families getting in the way, and laziness..im very introverted and avoidant and most days id rather just sit home and surf the net or watch tv as opposed to going out with my friends to do social things..its only in my 30s that ive realized just how difficult friendships are to maintain especially if you have certain disorders...