My fellow gamers, would you play my Sonic The Hedgehog game?

Metal_isthe_Answer

I actually have about 4 different game ideas Id love to sit and fully flesh out, one of which being a Sonic game. Sonic was my introduction to gaming, its sad to see his games being a lower quality than he deserves. My game is not necessarily for adults, the intent is just to make a better story and better executed gameplay, the highest rating might be a T rating but I doubt it.

Story:
Dr Robotnik plans to take over the world with a massive army of robots.
He builds construction factories after gaining possession of all the chaos emeralds using each one to power the plant, except for one that he gives to Mecha Sonic (from Sonic and Knuckles).
Mecha Sonics goal is to use the power of the emerald to hunt down and destroy Sonic, but the emerald actually causes him to go rampant (think of Halos definition of rampancy) and he starts destroying everything regardless of it being civilains or Robotniks allies.
As Sonic destroys the constructions plants and regains the chaos emeralds Robotnik takes Amy Rose hostage and demands Sonic to surreneder.
Near the end Robotnik invades a city with an army of ground troop robots and a skyscraper sized Death Egg (Sonic 2's design), Sonic has to defeat Mecha Sonic and regain the last emerald to use his super form to stop the Death Egg. Sonic devides his resources by having Tails lend air support and Knuckles on ground support, meanwhile he races up the Death Egg avoided the structures built in defenses to get to Amy on time.

Characters and their voice actors:
Sonic - I would intend for Jaleel White to reprise his role, otherwise I would go with Nolan North
Tails - I would try for Milhouses (from the Simpsons) to voice him, just make him less wimpy
Knuckles - Unsure for him, Knuckles always had a strong personality, Id like to get someone like Keith David or Dennis Haysbert, but their voices may be to deep
Amy Rose - Tara Strong, no doubt in my mind
Dr Robotnik - Either James Avery (Shredder in the 90s Ninja Turles cartoons and Uncle Phil on Fresh Prince) or Hugo Weaving

Metal_isthe_Answer

Soundtrack:
Kevin Manthei - He did the soundtrack for Invader Zim, he usually uses a darker electonica sound.

Gameplay: (my explanations are described with the Xbox controller in mind)
You would control Sonic like the vehicles in Halo, you use te left analog stick to move forward, and the right to adjust the camera, where you move the camera causes Sonic to move in that direction. After completeing the main game you would be able to replay levels and switch back and forth from Super Sonic to regular Sonic at will with the Y button as long as you have the required 50 rings.
You would play the story from the view points of several characters, like Sonic Adventure each character would have their own substory contributing to the plot but, you could also replay any level with any character, as well being able to choose playstyles when choosing a level.
If you want to play as Tails in a Sonic level you would be able to, and you could choose a
playstyle to accompany that, Tails (flight) Knuckles (slower paced platforming) or Sonic (faster paced platforming)
It would be available after completion of the campaign so choosing Sonic in a Tails level would work because you would have all the emeralds, allowing Sonic to turn into Super Sonic and fly to the parts you need to, Knuckled gliding and climbing abilities would make it work for him.
Speaking of Super Sonic's flight, you could activate his flight mechanic by pushing X, he would hover, and you would use A to raise his elevation, B to lower it, then press X again to return to the running controls.
The challenge mode would also have levels not seen in the main game including remakes of some old classics, like Ice Cap Zone, and Flying Battery Zone.
A few classic devices would return incuding various sheild, like the fire shield or the lightning shield.

Metal_isthe_Answer

As far as the visuals, if it where made on the upcoming systems, I go with a cel shaded Unreal Engine 4.

Sonic to me has always been a platformer, I would have sections that are fast, but overall it would be slower than his current 3d games are. My inspiration is largely from the Genesis games.

RoseQuartz

I would totally play it. My friends and I sometimes share videogame ideas we had with RPG maker, but for a platformer, I think Game Maker would be best...If you know something about programming, you could try XNA for Xbox and Windows games - it IS possible to get the desired speed for a Sonic game in both options.

I didn't read your whole story because you were already giving some spoilers about your game =) lol

Indie game developers are all the rage nowadays and some of us really miss 2d platformers. I like your choices for voice actors, too. Would you try creating at least one stage for your fellow gamers? =)

jaim38

If I have the budget to afford it, sure I can give it a try. Haven't played sonic in a while.

Metal_isthe_Answer

Thats good to hear that it sounded like a good story, thanks.
I have been tempted to get the XNA, if I knew the first thing about programming I probably would. I imagine if I bought it, it would be like tryting to teach a 5 year old how to drive a semi.
I could probably do alot of the concept art myself, but I have a friend that is much more talented than me.
My experience with recording music leads me to think that project lead, or director would be a more logical role for me, I work with my friends to record a sound, or a riff Ive though of, I just cant quite put pen to paper in that regard.