My doctor just dropped a bomb on me

arjuna

I'm glad you have found what you have and can begin to make steps to improve.

Regarding the autism, a counsellor once told me that everyone to some extent is on the spectrum. Autism probably isn't going to work as an asset for people with SA.

I, for instance, have certain Asperger symptoms: talking incessantly about one topic, not understanding social cues, remaining silent for long periods... I have seen people about it and they said that if I had Asperger's, I would be high functioning.

I still regard all these conditions as labels. The value they have remains in the treatment you can get to start to improve your quality of life.

HexNoir

I agree with and relate 100%.

As silly as it sounds, my hardheaded dilemma revolved around not knowing. I was going to accept whatever diagnosis, but figured it wouldn't be appropriate to begin a treatment program (administered by anybody in the world) if it was tailored for something I didn't have.

To me, it's kind of like getting cancer treatment for diabetes. If it's the wrong thing, I know from experience that it will harm me rather than help.

MollyBeGood

It really is the responsibility of parents and where they cannot the school system should at least help pick up the slack if a kid isn't developing socially enough.

I definitely fell through the cracks of the public school system...not hard.

But my parents really only made my situation worse IMO because they were both not social at all and had no friends. They wrote me off as "shy" and that was that.

No one knew the extent of my suffering and I wasn't able to get any kind of real help any way due to my parents being broke all of the time.

Kudos to you for going after a proper diagnosis. I found in my search there was no such thing really for me. It was a touch of this a bit of that and sometimes extreme this or that. I got so many different doctors telling me different sh$t and no one really gave a crap. I lost complete faith in anything in the medical field after that. I was in my early 20's

27 years old is still very young. Keep trying to figure yourself out though, that is the best thing you can do with your time..self-improvement. I find the more I know myself the less anyone of these diagnosis can seem like a death-sentence which none of them are.

It really is the responsibility of parents and where they cannot the school system should at least help pick up the slack if a kid isn't developing socially enough.

I definitely fell through the cracks of the public school system...not hard.

But my parents really only made my situation worse IMO because they were both not social at all and had no friends. They wrote me off as "shy" and that was that.

No one knew the extent of my suffering and I wasn't able to get any kind of real help any way due to my parents being broke all of the time.

Kudos to you for going after a proper diagnosis. I found in my search there was no such thing really for me. It was a touch of this a bit of that and sometimes extreme this or that. I got so many different doctors telling me different sh$t and no one really gave a crap. I lost complete faith in anything in the medical field after that. I was in my early 20's
I can relate to this MollyBeGood.

dannyboy65

I was diagnosed with higher functioning autism when I was 16. So basicly I started to get help when I joined college. I think it's good that you got a diagnosis then you can maybe find support groups like I did. It goes a long way getting the right help.