My Arch-nemesis: Wedding Receptions

Rodney

In the last month I have had the unfortunate pleasure of going to 2 weddings (one for my 2nd cousin and the other for my 1st cousin).

The first wedding reception was terrible. At 10:50 I was ready to leave and went to talk to my mom about me leaving and when this happened I had a jerk who doesn't like me, slap my stomach hard and say "grow up" while walking by. Then when I left I had to reluctantly drive my aunt and uncle to another wedding reception and endure my uncles rude comments about me and my lameness (ex. "what do you have better to do? Go home and sleep?", "Oh, he has to go home and play videogames with his friends online" (I'm not even a gamer?!?!)). Anyways I cried on the way home which was pretty lame XD but oh well.

The second wedding reception my sister and I (we were the only 2 1st cousins there) were put at a table with 2 of my cousins' bfs and some other random younger people that were like 5 years older than me. At this table these people were talking about my cousins' boobs and some sexual comments too. It was very uncomfortable. I also swear I heard the one bf tell my sister that she was "lucky I was gay" (I'm not gay!?!?) but it may have been my paranoia playing tricks on me, also the one big guy at our table also looked like he wanted to kill me, could have been paranoia once again. Anyways after dinner I went and sat at the table with all my aunts and uncles and parents the rest of the night. I basically sat around the rest of the night and did nothing until 12:00 when we left (I think we left earlier than my family would have liked to because I was with them).

Wedding receptions never seem to go very well for me and I end up feeling really shitty about myself and my life. I think I hate them more than anything else. People always make a big deal at them about me not drinking (I'm 18 not even the legal age). I hate having to watch everyone all drunk-happy and dancing, while I sit and fake smile/laugh the night away. I just feel so unwanted at wedding receptions and as if I'm ruining everyone else's good time. :( Does anyone else hate (or like) wedding receptions and have you had any bad (or good) experiences with them?

philly2bits

I have a wedding to go to in about a month. I'm not looking forward to it at all. The only part I think I'll enjoy is the free food :D

klytus

I am lucky in this regard - I have never had to go to any wedding, since my family has always been very small and very reclusive. But, if those people behave that way towards you, why do you go to the weddings at all?

PennyLane

This is not meant offensively but your family sound very mean....why would your own uncle say those things....and what kind of a-hole slaps someone in the stomach and says grow up. I reckon they have the problem not you. God people are cruel.

Lea

Banned
So far I was on 2 wedding receptions (of my cousins). It was allright...

There was another wedding of my cousin (from father´s side) yesterday. He kept asking me months ago on Facebook if I was going, I said of course. Now my mother told them on the phone I wasn´t going. She explained I wouldn´t get on with my father. So I didn´t go. My mother then said he was a bit sad that I didn´t come, I feel embarassed but what the hell was I supposed to do? I´m not going to push myself into it when my parents don´t want me there.

Also, they are going to assume if I don´t get on with my father that I am the bad one, because they have no idea how sickeningly he is treating me when there´s noone around.

Anyway I don´t mind, I long don´t care about what people say or think about me, I am used to being weird, and alone.

If someone here doesn´t like wedding receptions, if I were you I just wouldn´t go there, period :).

Rodney

I am lucky in this regard - I have never had to go to any wedding, since my family has always been very small and very reclusive. But, if those people behave that way towards you, why do you go to the weddings at all?

Yeah, you're very lucky lol. The soul reason why I go to weddings is because it would be "rude" not to and people would think less of me if I didn't go (I am surrounded by relatives where I live and they would all find out and bother me about why I didn't go). It is also hard when you have your parents telling you it would be rude not to go to the wedding reception, even though a lot of people don't go to the actual ceremony (which to me is more important than the reception) and just go to the reception.

Weddings are one of the reasons I am thinking of moving away next year so that I can avoid them and all of my relatives.

Rodney

This is not meant offensively but your family sound very mean....why would your own uncle say those things....and what kind of a-hole slaps someone in the stomach and says grow up. I reckon they have the problem not you. God people are cruel.

None taken. Yes, my relatives are quite mean. They are not afraid to say mean things to your face and often love to talk about you behind your back. Once my cousin randomly messaged me on msn saying "you're a loser" (I thought we were friends, clearly not), this is just one of many examples of mean things my relatives have done/said to me. I believe they have played a big part in my development of SAD.

Last edited:

PennyLane

Weddings are one of the reasons I am thinking of moving away next year so that I can avoid them and all of my relatives.

Im t the same extreme, my cousin is getting married next year and we're all invited...im meant to be climbing Kilimanjaro at some point when the weather is right next year so in order not to go I told them thats when my climb is....now im going to have to plan this bloody climb around that exact time or they'll all wonder why i didn't go......i just know everyone is going to be like why didnt you go...im like you, loads of family around back home.

I cant believe how ridiculous my excuse was....i bet the timing will be way off! My family are super super social too!! What went wrong with me:D

dooby-duck

I avoid weddings and wedding receptions, and most other family parties. I can't even enjoy the food. Wedding receptions seem to go on far to long for my liking. I think I would just be sat on my own being encouraged to talk to random relatives who are all virtually strangers anyway. There are those awkward questions that relatives seem to feel entitled to ask to deal with as well.

It's funerals that scare me the most though. I don't think you can really avoid those. They can cause problems if you miss them, especially close relatives. You have to deal with the church bit first, then have the party thing afterwards. I end up feeling trapped.

mikestar

Banned
Avoided weddings for the last 3 years. Its for the best tho, they wouldnt want me at there Big day ;-)

I dont think I could stand wearing a suit and having to look tidy, be so uncomfortable. I would probably turn up in jeans and sweat top,oh and pissed before HAHAHA

Rodney

I have 2 weddings to endure in august... 2.5 years later and they're still the bane of my existence. They're four months away and I'm already dreading them. Fml