My alternate life

xDreamseller

First off, there are 3 things you should know about me:
1. I love my parents more than anything else in the world
2. This is the only thing I've ever held against someone longer than a day
3. I've always listened to advice from others and taken it onboard. Like when adults say school will be one of the best times of your life...I understood that from the day I started school and cherished every day.

When I was a kid, I lived in a really small neighborhood where all the kids played together, even though there was a huge age gap between the youngest and oldest.

My neighbor, she was 2 years older than me and even though our parents didn't always get along, we spent every day together. She is the reason for this post.

The few memories I have of being that age, most are of our time together. (I remember the inside of her house much better than my own...I probably spent more time there)

Even back then at that age, I knew. I knew that this type of relationship was special and that I was lucky to have it.

It was not meant to be however, as my parents decided to move and live across town in the countryside, away from the city, forcing me to change schools. It might not seem like a big deal today, but in the late 90's, before kids had cellphones, no social media and no public transport, I had no way of contacting my old friends and most importantly my neighbor on a regular basis.

I'm fairly certain that that was the point my shyness in front of adults turned into social anxiety from everyone. I cut myself off from my old friends and social groups, only managing to form a handful of new friendships at my new school.

To be honest, I didn't care about the social anxiety, I didn't care about moving house or school...all I cared about was losing my neighbor. If anyone has seen That 70's show, we were going to be Eric and Donna. If you've seen the butterfly effect, we were going to be Evan and Kayleigh.

I've thought about it every day and I resent my parents for it. I still have dreams about her and think of what could have been.

I've never talked to anyone about any of this. My parents knew I didn't want to move house, but hey, it was a dream of theirs to live in the countryside and the kid can hardly decide where to live. I've not once mentioned it in all the years since however. I know that asking "What if..." never leads to anything good, but I can't help think: "What if...we had never moved home?". I was popular, had self confidence, was physically fit, had the perfect girl next door...I lost all of that when I moved home.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for from this thread...I've just finished watching The Butterfly Effect and Super 8, both of which reminded me of this...

TL/DR: Had everything sorted..family moved..it changed me and I lost it all.

Last edited:

jaim38

Moving can be a painful process. Just when you finally fit in, you had to leave it all behind. Can't you go back and visit when you get the time? I bet your old friends and neighbors will still remember you.

MikeyC

Maybe it's time to have a chat to your parents about this. You love them and I'm sure they love you, so I assume it's not going to devolve into a screaming match. Just tell them you've got something you want to get off your chest and I'm sure they'll listen to you.

Now that Facebook and other social media is available to you, there could be a way to get in contact again. You never know. The friendship may spark up again.

Also, The Butterfly Effect is one sad movie, although Ashton Kutcher plays his role well, considering he's more of a comedian.

xDreamseller

It's one of my favorite movies Mikey, have you seen both endings? In my opinion, the ending where he tells her he doesn't like her the day they meet and then walk past each other as adults is by far the best. Quite possibly one of my favorite endings to a movie ever.

ImNotMyIllness

xDreamseller:By thinking this way you're going to make yourself miserable. She might have been a wonderful girl but you don't KNOW if it would have worked out. You both were very young, people change. You could have married her and ended up in a very bitter divorce and been even more miserable.

I'm a hopeless romantic too. So, look at it this way. Maybe, fate took you in another direction to meet another girl. But, you NEED to LOOK for her i.e dating.

MikeyC

It's one of my favorite movies Mikey, have you seen both endings? In my opinion, the ending where he tells her he doesn't like her the day they meet and then walk past each other as adults is by far the best. Quite possibly one of my favorite endings to a movie ever.
I don't recall that one. I remember the ending where he doesn't exist at all and everyone lives happier. Really sad!

fate12321

I feel you man, ever since i started school i moved like 6 times 4 elemetry and 2 middle school, every school that i went i had at least 2 or 3 best friends now im in high school been here for 4 years with out moving and im wondering what could have been if i never moved, i remember my friends faces but not there names though :(

neohorizon

Hey at some point of your life you would leave that place, for college, for work...

Maybe that would happen the same way (the anxiety), you were in your confort zone the change made you feel things that you didnt feel before, the anxiety was sleeping inside you, you just didnt realize, cause you had friends, you were fine with your look, you were safe!

Maybe it happened in a better time, while you were young, now you understand better this nightmare! Move on man... And open yourself with your parents, their help can change everything!!!! Throw the **** on the fan or start arguing, they will realize that you want help

And DONT FORGET, in the past, at some point of your life, you WERE NORMAL, HAPPY, with friends... YOU STILL THE SAME PERSON, but now you are blind and weak because of the SA...

Last edited: