my agoraphobia

dude9

Hi. Im new to this forum and i was hoping to get some opinions and tips about my situation.

My agoraphobia started about 2 months ago. After my family doctor couldn't find anything wrong with me i started seeing therapist and that's when i found out that i have agoraphobia. At the beginning of my phobia i could barely go out the house, and now I manage to to leave the house and go to public places as long as it's close to the house.
This situation gets me really frustrated most of the time because I don't know how long it will last. Sometimes I even think that it will never go away and I would never be the same guy I was before.
I'm also going crazy here because it's hard for me to find occupation. I'm currently at my parent's house, which is in a different country from where I live, so i don't have any friends or hobbits here :\ . I feel trapped.

Anyone here who is in the same level of recovery? or that had agoraphobia for a relatively short period of time?

Ignace

How did your agora start off ? If you're able to leave the house after 2 months you'll be fine anyway, no worries.

Nathália

Hello dude9 and welcome to the forum.

My agoraphobia has improved, I wasn't able to leave my door steps, so I challenged myself to go on morning walks and runs and I can say I can leave my house now to walk outside, but certain places can still trigger me. It may not be something that you can get over right away, but taking small steps at a time can help. Do you have a specific fear that is preventing you from leaving your house?

jaim38

I have agoraphobia too. I can go out to places that are sparsely populated, like an almost empty building. But places with a lot of people such as the supermarket can trigger the agoraphobia. I also avoid places filled with people that don't like me. I don't leave my house unless I have to.

dude9

thanks everyone for the replies! It really helps to talk to other people about it who understand :)

I basically get panic every time I feel that I'm in a situation which i can't escape from; like getting too far from the house or being stuck in traffic. For example, the other day I went to buy food from a place near my house, and while I was waiting for my food I started getting a panic attack. It got to a point that I thought about ditching the food and run home. Thankfully I managed to calm a little until my food arrived.

I use exposure therapy. I basically go to places that triggers me a little bit, and instead of running away I try to fight it as much as possible until I feel safe there again. Problem is, I get really impatient and frustrated sometimes that the recovery is slow and I push myself too much sometimes.

crazycatlady27

thanks everyone for the replies! It really helps to talk to other people about it who understand :)

I basically get panic every time I feel that I'm in a situation which i can't escape from; like getting too far from the house or being stuck in traffic. For example, the other day I went to buy food from a place near my house, and while I was waiting for my food I started getting a panic attack. It got to a point that I thought about ditching the food and run home. Thankfully I managed to calm a little until my food arrived.

I use exposure therapy. I basically go to places that triggers me a little bit, and instead of running away I try to fight it as much as possible until I feel safe there again. Problem is, I get really impatient and frustrated sometimes that the recovery is slow and I push myself too much sometimes.

i am with you on this one, i can leave my house but if i walk to far from it or from what i call a "safe zone" i start to panic, i have found if i go to the same place a lot i start to feel better, i hate hate hate lines i cant wait in them i start to go nuts i start thinking and that always makes me worse lol
its good that you are working on your panic and i hope it gets better but i always hear the same thing, it takes time lol