music as a therapy.

Smokeringz

I love to write my own songs and I love to play music and sing. I think for me this has caused alot of my shyness to go away. I think that music can be a passion just as painting can make you express yourself more artisticly than you would normally. do you think that the arts are a good way of breaking SA? why or why not.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
I love to write my own songs and I love to play music and sing. I think for me this has caused alot of my shyness to go away. I think that music can be a passion just as painting can make you express yourself more artisticly than you would normally. do you think that the arts are a good way of breaking SA? why or why not.

To some extent. I mean, if you're getting up on stage and performing your music to people. Even if it's a small group of people.

Or if you've joined a painting and drawing workshop, where you're getting to meet new people, for example. Then yes, the arts are a good way of breaking SA. Especially the example I stated with music, or even doing stand-up comedy. It takes a lot of courage to get up on a stage in front of a group of strangers.

Starry

I think perhaps it's not going to help you break out of SA/SP, but it will boost your confidence and bring you out of yourself more which may help with that. Certainly I think it helps a lot with negative feelings... But then, being absorbed in anything can help with that... Focusing your mind on something, especially if it is creative in nature and something which you feel you are succeeding at, will help to bring about a state known as "flow", which is a positive feeling, indeed the opposite of anxiety and depression in many ways...