multinational work environment

simona

So I work in a multinational company. As expected cliques have formed and also as expected i got into none (because of my SA and of being an introvert). efforts to socialize I do did, but mainly with my co-desk colleague (and even if he himself is part of one clique, he seems to respond to my efforts of starting a conversation). However I understood that at my workplace friendships are maily built in the smoking break-I don't smoke- (and, yes, I've tried to hang around there with them , but then SA kicked in).
In every one-on one meeting (so only me and my manager-we have such things in multinationals) my manager keeps telling me that I should stop being so quiet and that I should interract more with the others.
I feel there is too much pressure (especially in multinational companies) to socialize (they offer even bonuses for engaging in these socials things, like teambuilding games etc).And I can't stand it anymore. Nor can I stand their policies, mentality and philosophy of work. Plus my work is a tedious one. I keep telling me that this is just a temporary job (I want to work as a researcher), but it already feels like hell. I've seen a job announcement that appealed to me (which is not in a multinational company and doesn't involve having so many coworkers) and I've even applied to it but got no answer so far. Plus I don't know if I would get so well paid as here (and for the time being I need the money in order to pay a foreign language course-which would help me later in fiding a better job).
I would very much appreciate any piece of advice.
I'm sorry for the long post and for being a bit incoherent.

Deco

I'd rather work in a more friendly environment than focusing on a better paycheck at the cost of my health. I was getting ill with all the stress.
That's why I quit my last job. There there are times we have to ask ourselves if its really worth it. Having more free time is good too. You can even use it to study more or any activities that will make you healthier or increase your income later.
Think positive, some companies can take a bit longer to call for an interview. I keep sending my CV a few times when this happens. I'm not being too hard on myself for being more introvert anymore. I've accepted that in some places friendship is more about quality than quantity. As long as I make few close friends and have a good relationship with my boss, it is enough for me now.

Last edited:

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Besides saying "hi, how are you" to people when you see them (to indicate to people that you are not a savage), I wouldn't try to change my personality to fit in if I were you.

I kept being told I need to talk more the first year I worked where I work now, but at some point they figured that 1 - quiet is just who I am 2 - I do my job anyway 3 - people find it easy to work with me despite the non-chattiness.

I think you need to find a place to work where at some point they stop pressuring you to be someone else, or you won't be happy. So I guess it's a good thing that you're planning to find another job...

NamiraWilhelm

I remember being spoken to about the fact I don't interact with my colleagues much.

Manager: I never see you in other people's work space
Me:... and you think they're discussing work related things?

I appreciate they want a team mind frame in us. And I work in a team when necessary. But if they think they're congregating together for work, they're so wrong. It's usually because they're sat watching something on YouTube. I'd rather do my work and get out of their asap.

anyway, really I don't think you'll be happy even if you did get on with everyone. I was pretty alone for a long time and now have several friends and even a big group I lunch with. But it's still the same crappy job at the end of the day. You probably won't be happy until you find a job that makes you happy.

AtTheGates

Banned
I know what you mean....as much as I would like to interact more with people I usually just DONT because i never fit in anyway...and its so nervewracking just trying ot be friendly with people because I KNOW that sooner or later they're going to decide that im weird or lame and then drop me altogether....I just try to be polite with people but not so much that they think im pushing it into the "im trying to be your friend" category...because in my experience people generally dont like that(not from ME anyway)....iv actually become accustomed to enjoying just about as much alone time as possible.

Last edited: