misanthropy and depression

ScaredToBreathe

I've been very stressed and exhausted lately and feeling so misanthropic and depressed. I keep wondering why life can't be easier and why I can't just live it like any other animal on Earth without having it dictated by other humans who make things so complex and miserable.

I know there are a lot of very good people out there, but not enough to make up for the bad. I can honestly say that 100% of things that have ever ruined my day or made me feel like killing myself were related to or caused by people. And there is NO escape. I can not live my life peacefully without ever encountering people who are rude, toxic, mean, or difficult to be around. There will ALWAYS be people like that. The only options of escape are a) becoming a recluse or living somewhere completely isolated, which would still pose many hardships, no positive social interaction, and mental strain b) suicide, where I could end my suffering and not have to deal with people or negative emotions anymore but I would have to give up all future opportunities and experiencing a life that I may potentially not regret at the end (but, what if I make it to the natural end of my life and feel it wasn't worth it? that it was too full of pain and stress and hurt that it would have been better to let go rather than endure it?), and so either way it's a lose-lose situation.

"It will get better" or "it will pass" are things I hear a lot but are not always true. Way back in grade school I was depressed and even suicidal. I knew I was still just a kid and that I had a lot to look forward to growing up and that maybe one day it wouldn't be all that bad. So I held out, trying to be positive and hoping I could overcome the negative thoughts that dragged me down. It's been over a decade since then and if anything things have gotten worse and I don't know if I can put up with life any longer. I've been getting treatment for years now and have lost count of the meds I've been on, though none of them help when I have a negative experience or thoughts from previous ones.

Does anyone else have a problem where they remember many negative things from their life, much more than positive, and those thoughts pop into their head without warning and make you feel worthless, inferior, stupid, hated, embarrassed, anxious, and sick, sometimes all at once? I get that a lot and cannot control it. I still have painful memories from, for example, grade 1 when I was only SIX years old that still make me feel worthless and sick as if I had experienced the same moment in person all over again. Over all these years those negative memories accumulated and I can still clearly remember hundreds of times someone said something mean to me, or I did something embarrassing, or I was in a situation that made me feel useless or inferior. I know I shouldn't let them bring me down and that it's in the past and the people who made me feel that way probably don't even remember, and it's small, trivial things, but I can't control the depression and that anxious, sinking feeling in my body and pit in my stomach that results from those thoughts entering my mind and making me relive those hurtful moments all over again.

Does anyone else have a problem where they remember many negative things from their life, much more than positive, and those thoughts pop into their head without warning and make you feel worthless, inferior, stupid, hated, embarrassed, anxious, and sick, sometimes all at once? I get that a lot and cannot control it. I still have painful memories from, for example, grade 1 when I was only SIX years old that still make me feel worthless and sick as if I had experienced the same moment in person all over again.

Yes, its as though the bad memories are written in permanent marker, but the good are in whiteboard which gets easily wiped off. And yes, my mind still holds on to things from childhood. I have noticed lately though that my brain is showing me both sides of the coin with memories, giving me a more balanced view

defiance

The bad memories are like old friends you want to forget but can't. The thing is, because of my depression and anxiety, the simplest of things will haunt me for years and years and it just makes me feel like I am less than nothing. Everyday is just another struggle that is worse than the day before it. Don't know how much longer I can go like this.

ScaredToBreathe

The bad memories are like old friends you want to forget but can't. The thing is, because of my depression and anxiety, the simplest of things will haunt me for years and years and it just makes me feel like I am less than nothing. Everyday is just another struggle that is worse than the day before it. Don't know how much longer I can go like this.

I couldn't have said it better myself! I wrote more than I intended since I was having racing thoughts and in a bad mood and needed to rant it off, but you explained it perfectly. "The simplest of things will haunt me for years and years" yea, I know exactly how you feel. It's like any wrong move or mistake made, which are inevitable since nobody's perfect, will affect you forever, so much so that it doesn't even seem worth it to take a chance at things that may turn out well.

Kiwong

I don't believe I am a misanthrope, I fear people, anthropophobia, and yes that fear has been created by bad experiences over my life.