Might as well be a hermit.

Social_Monstrosity

Outside of my mother and the occasional cashier/service worker, I have not socialized with another person since I graduated high school in 2009. What the hell is wrong with me? Why do I have to be this way? How can I change? I just don't know what to do.

Metal_isthe_Answer

The answer would be to find a job, and make friends at said job if possible. Thats just my opinion, Ive made 2 good from my past 2 jobs so thats why I suggest it.
Im terrible at socializing and try to just keep to myself as much as possible, I suppose the best idea would be to try to think of the stuff you love, your hobbies etc. and look for places that have people with the same interests. If you love to paint take some art classes for example

Minty

Hey, welcome to the club. :) I know how you feel. But the thing that makes me sad, more than not being able to socialize, is that I don't really...miss it. I don't miss hanging out with people. I didn't enjoy the process at all. Honestly, I have this idealized image of what a true friendship is like, probably from TV, and I have no idea if it exists. But if it does, that's the thing I want. Not what I experienced in high school when I had a few friends to hang out with.

upndwn

I lived like this for years, eventually I got professional help but it took me eight years of therapy before I started to see any results. Finally I managed to get a job where I had to deal with people on a regular basis. It was hell at first, but after a year or so my anxiety was almost gone.

I think that however bad your anxiety may be you have to force yourself into meeting people. Sitting at home thinking about your problems will only make it worse. Drugs and therapy may help, but in the end it falls upon you to gather the strength and will to get out of your situation. It's just about taking that first step.