Medication

BloodFury

Been awhile since I've been here, but... I've been looking at SSRI. Seriously? A anti-depressant is used to treat Anxiety.

The side effects are completely insane. I'm not to bad on the Insomnia part, but the others sound horrible.

Should someone really take these? I don't want to take some and put a gun to my head.

Probably the government trying to kill us.

Moa

A lot of us take SSRIs with no side effects, or at least mild side effects that are tolerable. I'm pretty sure lists of side effects are published as a legal tool to prevent drug companies from getting sued (not that they couldn't afford it, ha). They have to present the worst case scenario for that reason. If you're considering taking an SSRI, I wouldn't worry. They're pretty widely prescribed with no major issues.

D

deleted #89

Medications are overrated....they will never ever remove your anxiety feelings. For that there is counseling and books that help allot.

Section_31

I have to disagree.

They may help you manage your anxiety more effectively. Ive been on wellbutrin for 3 yrs now, and its helped me greatly. It doesnt work for everyone, but it can help some. The only way to tell is to try it and see. The side effects can be common, but others may no experience them. I never had insomnia, though i did start craving my eggs to be done a different way.

Section_31

LOL.

I used to like them sunny side up, now its scrambled. Dont know if i can attribute THAT to my brain meds :p

Collar

I think I have been prescribed a Tricyclic Antidepressant (TCA), which is - from what I've read - a different class than SSRI..

has anyone tried TCAs and has an idea of what are their common side effects?

btw from what I understand wellbutrin is not an SSRI either.. so probably different list of side effects might be expected..

BloodFury

I'd like to try SSRI to see how it feels to not have Anxiety/OCD. Maybe it's not that bad, I just need a direction of no anxiety, somewhat Anxiety/OCD... It's hard to scale without the knowledge of how it feels without Anxiety/OCD. For all I know, I may not Anxiety/OCD.

Thanks for the comments!

I think I have been prescribed a Tricyclic Antidepressant (TCA), which is - from what I've read - a different class than SSRI..

has anyone tried TCAs and has an idea of what are their common side effects?

btw from what I understand wellbutrin is not an SSRI either.. so probably different list of side effects might be expected..

Sounds worse than SSRI.
Antidepressants, Tricyclic antidepressant, TCA for depression, side effects of tricyclic antidepressant, drug interactions of TCA, who should use tricyclic antidepressant, depression, who should avoid tricyclics

SAYC

I struggled with these thoughts for 20 years thinking I was just weird. When the thoughts started to seem to take over, I went to my GP and told her what was in my mind. I started taking Celexa and it has been amazing. I have had a lot of psychotherapy and I still have difficult times but the Celexa really changed my life (6 years now). It is so strange to have a really quiet mind, to not have floods of images and impressions running through one part while I tried to live my life with the other part.

I used to really think meds were for weak people. Now, I really believe that OCD has an organic basis. We need more Seratonin. Celexa has limits on it now because they found some link between it and heart problems when in doses greater than 40 mg (I take 60 mg). I will need to make some adjustments but have to say that I personally have not had negative side effects.

NP88

Be carefeull with antidepressants. Some have terrible symptoms, some have very few. Personally I began to lose my mind, threw up alot, and had thoughts of suicide. The warnings are there for a reason.

Last edited:

-lonestar-

I have tried afew brands long ago but I think meds just cover up the problem like a band-aid. I say this because whenever I forgot to take them I felt way worse, suicidal thoughts, violent thoughts, couldn't focus on anything positive.

Your brain seems to become dependent and ceases to produce natural chemicals, I would try psychology alone and meds as a last resort. There might be some natural meds that don't have crazy side effects, ask your doc, better be safe than sorry. I wish you luck.

Last edited:

MaxineRyder

Sadly everything has side effects, and you have to find the medication that is right for you. Everyone's biochemistry is unique, but overall the SSRI side effects are negligible. I've been on an SSRI for more than 20 years and it has saved my life. My only side effect is a decrease in sex drive (but who cares, I prefer chocolate anyway).
I take luvox 150mg / day. Most people cant tolerate luvox as it gives them digestive problems, but it works for me. So you see we all have different biochemistry, and luckily there is a selection of SSRI on the market for you to choose from.
Good luck and keep us posted as to how you get along.
Love
Maxine xxxx

Collar

I had an interesting discussion today with the psychiatrist concerning TCA vs SSRI.. surprisingly he is convinced that TCAs have milder and less annoying side effects than SSRIs do, and that's why he prefers TCA in real practice, besides he said TCA's is faster in terms of efficacy