living with roommates

PheonixBomb

I've been thinking lately of moving out and I keep wondering what people's experiences are living with someone that is not family. Looking more for people that may live with strangers as I don't have any friends that live in the city (they're all back in the town I grew up).

It seems I have two choices, be awkward with people I don't know, or live by myself but pay obviously much more.

What are people's experiences here?

I did live with a friend for a few months, but that was for work and luckily our job paid for the apartment. Also that was in another state.

Kiwong

A guy shared my town house with me for a while. This was in the 1990s. It was hard for me, even though I got along well with the guy. Also I am not easy to live with myself. It would be hard for me almost impossible now, I have lived alone so very long. I mch prefer my own company if I can afford to live that way.

I think you'd need to choose your roommate very carefully. It might be good with the right person, but a nightmare with the wrong choice.

DepravedFurball

Just keep in mind that every potential roomie has their own quirks, preferences, and things that set them off. And you'll probably never find the 'perfect' person to live with, so don't set your expectations too high.

Really, you've got to worry about your safety, property, and the rent. As long as they're non-threatening and grounded, have apparent personal boundaries that they stick to, and a long-term steady job, then you shouldn't have to fret too much. And you might make a new friend to boot. ^^

Gieky

Personally if I could not live with friends or family I would pay more to live by myself. When I had roommates, the best living situations were with mixed groups of men and women. I am over-generalizing here but all female = too much drama and all male = too much disorder. Having both creates a nice balance.

jaim38

I did live with roommates in a dorm, but we mostly keep to ourselves though. The first roommate was nice and tried to get me to hang out but being shy and a loner, I rejected her attempts. The second roommate could care less. Word must have gotten around about my reputation, but she was ok and respectful. I wasn't close to any of them.

Honestly, I'm afraid of living with roommates (who are not family) because I have secret habits that I don't want people to find out. When I lived in the dorm, I felt like I couldn't breathe. It felt like walking on eggshells all the time. I had to get out for personal space.