lexapro and low blood sugar

loloy

I have type 1 diabetes and the last two days my blood sugar has been constantly low, its 2 days since ive taken lexapro - maybe its a coincidence or is it from the lexapro?? My doctor didnt mention this would happen as she was looking for the best medication I could take with diabetes. Has anyone with diabetes and lexapro similar side effects?

mummylala

thanks - i have a feeling its a coincidence as my doctor would have told me about it. Im just scaremongering myself reading all this stuff online lol.

Your doc knows your diabetic im assuming so he would have def told you about it.. I would be putting it all down to a coincidence as you say :)

loloy

Your doc knows your diabetic im assuming so he would have def told you about it.. I would be putting it all down to a coincidence as you say :)

yeah she knows - i asked for beta blockers first and she said that they would block the signs of a hypo so she gave me lexapro instead. Im only on 5mg - will see how they go :)

SugarQueen29

I am Female, 29 had diabetes type 1, for 16 years. Just got on lexapro now for 2 weeks. I am now having fast drops in levels. Its gets really low. Its like now im using wayyyy too luch insulin!!!! im 1:10 carb ratio on the pump, and now i might change to 1:12!!!! I feel no anxiety anymore though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure what ill do but i feel better.

awkwardamanda

I'm also type I diabetic. I'm not on any medication at the moment, but I do know that anxiety can cause high blood sugar. I don't know the exact details, but it has something to do with the whole fight or flight response. Your body releases some stored sugar when anxious. It's possible the medication can be reducing this sort of effect, although I wouldn't expect much after only two days, since it typically takes a little while for anti-depressant/anti-anxiety meds to work. It might be just a coincidence. I have days where I'm high most of the day or low most of the day and I have no idea why. You should probably talk to you doctor or pharmacist.