Letter for a Friend

MaliceInWickedland

Hey guys, I'm here once again to ask for your opinions on something I wrote.

My best friend's birthday is today and I spent about an hour trying to think up of a good letter to write for her. I'm feeling very self conscious to give her this letter. I showed it to a couple of my friends and they say it's really sweet but I feel like I made it too sappy and emotional. Can anyone let me know if there's anything wrong with what I have so far? Is is too sappy? Should I tone it down a bit? Stuff like that. I'll greatly appreciate any input you guys give me on this :)

Today is a special day for a special someone I've been lucky enough to have in my life for over 5 years as not only a good friend I can always rely on, but a Sister I will treasure for the rest of my life. For the last 17 years of her life she has walked this earth as a girl unlike any other. She has a heart of gold, a smile of porcelain, and the face of an angel. She can turn my frowns upside down without any effort and as long as I get to see that beautiful smile on her face, I won’t have any reason not to smile too. One of my greatest regrets in life is not having been able to be a better friend to her during the first few years we knew each other. I caused her a lot of pain during that time and brought her down with me on several occasions. Even then, she never gave up on me and stood right back up, helping me up along with her. She has taught me a lot, and I've always wanted to be just like her – a girl who can smile no matter how many times life tries to rain on her sunshine. A girl who can love others even when they step all over her heart. A girl who will stay by your side even if you try to push her away. Every time I see her courage, her devotion, and above all, her unconditional love for her friends and family, I remind myself that this is the girl I look up to and the girl I want to keep close to my heart for all eternity. Words alone can never truly express how much I admire this girl. She's the reason behind these breaths I take, the tears I shed at the thought of ever losing her, and the beats of my heart that get faster every time I think about her and all the great moments we've shared together the past 5 years or so. Moreover, this girl is my reason to live and my reason to love. If I didn't have (friend's name) in my life, I wouldn't be able to call this a life at all…

HAPPY BIRTHDAY (friend)!!!

Your Sister forever and always,
(my name)

Last edited:
This seems like a very emotional letter to her... I got a letter like this once from a friend... I thought it was very sweet of him but maybe a little strange (it's strange to have someone open up so much all of a sudden ::eek::). The thing is, that small speck of "strangeness" didn't matter - I thought it was extremely sweet and caring of him to write such things to me - which told me that he really liked me (which made me feel great about myself.) Guess what? We're still very good friends (though we hardly talk) and he is a dear friend that I could ask anything of and he would give it t me.

Such a letter can bring you closer. It seems that you're pretty close already making your letter appropriate :).

Good luck!

DespairSoul

I alone always write too very emotional but for example my sister say is to much, then this make me feel sad about it coz i really mean it like that. For someone can be such a letter
exaggeratedly emotional but if is real feeling and you and she are very close to each others you should give this touchable letter what will bless her on shes heart. You know your frend and you know how she is. I think she will like it very much. I wanted get those letter and i dont think so is sappy in negative way i think is sappy in very positive way. If u think is to much emotinal make only little change but not to much because will lost his sense as he was wroten from heart.

MaliceInWickedland

Thanks for the input guys :)

My friend came over a while ago and I think I gave her the surprise of a lifetime with that letter, lol. She actually started crying and not only gave me a hug, but a kiss on the cheek!! That one really took me by surprise since I've never been kissed by a girl who wasn't a relative. But anyway, thanks again guys! I really really appreciate your advice!! :D

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Thanks for the input guys :)

My friend came over a while ago and I think I gave her the surprise of a lifetime with that letter, lol. She actually started crying and not only gave me a hug, but a kiss on the cheek!! That one really took me by surprise since I've never been kissed by a girl who wasn't a relative. But anyway, thanks again guys! I really really appreciate your advice!! :D

Your career has to have some sort of creative writing in it, every time you put ink to paper you make people cry, and that's not easy to do.

MaliceInWickedland

Your career has to have some sort of creative writing in it, every time you put ink to paper you make people cry, and that's not easy to do.

I am aspiring to become a freelance writer, maybe even a novelist someday. Thank you dearly, I really appreciate your words :D