Length of panic attack?

Sad-Kitten

How long can a panic attack last? I believe i had one a few days ago, and it seemed to last the better part of a day and a half.

hey

the first panic attack i ever had resulted in me going to the hospital because it caused my blood pressure to skyrocket. needless to say i was terrified (in 10th grade thinking i was dying). in short, it lasted nearly all day (i'd say for a good part of at least 8-10 hours)

it was not fun.

Sjoseph

From the research I've done, panic attacks actually don't last very long...

Here's a quote from the Merck Manual's page on panic attacks:

" Did You Know...

* Although panic attacks cause symptoms involving the heart and other vital organs, they are not dangerous.

Symptoms peak within 10 minutes and usually dissipate within minutes, leaving little for a doctor to observe except the person's fear of another terrifying attack."

Panic Attacks and Panic Disorder: Anxiety Disorders: Merck Manual Home Edition

Kamen

Panic attacks don't last that long - a day. The peak can last from few seconds to few minutes, but a cycle of attacks could possibly occur. Your batteries eventually become empty and the parasympathetic system kicks in. The feeling that a panic attack has lasted longer is because of the residual anxiety and the chemicals circulating in your body. There are symptoms such as higher blood pressure and faster heart rate which fade out as time passes.

I just started having panic attacks about a month ago. I'm also asthmatic, so that dosen't help. I get a tightness in my chest, and a feeling of being disconnected. It usually lasts about an hour or better. The downside is that I'm a correctional officer so there really isn't a place for that where I work, and it can be dangerous to others.I went to the hospital 2wice, and then to my doc. I should get into better shape. I'm 33 and now taking high blood preassuer meds, 40mg prozac, and .05mg of zanax as needed. It all started when I ran out of my inhaler at work one night. I took a shot of an old primatine mist that was outdated. My heart started racing, and I thought I was going to die, as well as being dizzy.I got to the hospital, my bp was 180/120! They dismissed it as dehydration. Till It happened 2 weeks later.

rand0m_guy

A true panic attack will not last a day and a half; nowhere near. You just had acute anxiety.

The longest panic attack I've had was whilst under the influence of cannabis. It would be hard to put a time scale on it as my mind was in such turmoil. It felt like days but was probably no longer than an hour in length. Others I've had have been equally as terrifying, but not as long in length. Sometimes I'd feel better afterwards for having one, and other times I'd be left with anxiety for some time afterwards. Depends on how much adrenaline your body uses up I guess.

You'll know whether it was a proper panic attack or not, as it'll have been a life-altering experience.

Remus

Staff member
yep panic attack lasts like 20 mins at its peak, anxiety attack can last alot longer but is less severe