Law or Philosophy?

moni10

I'm so so so confused...my dad wants me to study Law but I don't know if I'll ever be able to become a judge or a lawyer(it involves speaking in public and so on).On the other hand, I hadn't taken this possibility (of studying Law) into consideration before ...yesterday:confused:Last week I was sure I want to study Philosophy....but now...I can't say my dad forces me to choose Law since I don't even know if I'll enjoy studying all those things;I have to mention that the university of Law is a very prestigious one and offers you, at least, alternative careers, while Philosophy could offer me only the chance of becoming a teacher ( and teaching is far from being a well paid job -in my country).

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
You should be a philosophy major like me :). It's your life now and you should do what you want with it. In 4 years when you graduate your father won't have any control over, you'll be an adult. Law does have more careers, but if you don't love it don't do it!

Luke1993

Do whatever you think you'll do better at. I am studying law, politics and critical thinking as a levels (I don't know what the American equivalent is) I'm doing okay, I don't think I'll become a lawyer or anything though lol

IGotSeoul

Study a bit of both and find which one you enjoy the most. I'm also very drawn to philosophy but there are slim career opportunities focused around it, so I mostly study for leisure.

DanFC

There is a lot of philosophy involved in law. In fact, the majority of pre-law students at my university are either Philosophy or Political Science.

That being said, I have a number of attorneys in my family. All of them will tell you it takes a lot of resilience to get through it all and you need to have a lot of dedication and respect for the discipline.