Lack of interest in other people.

shazbck

what i really think is that most of the people hear about stuff others have to say because generally they have something to say in return.most people talk about other people's life because it makes them feel good about themselves.
i notice that most of the common conversation points are criticism of someone or something.and then most people like to talk about themselves like how much they have struggled,how awesome they are,how good are they at that **** etc.
i feel like they don't have genuine interest in other people's **** most of the time, and that's why i just don't want to talk to anybody about myself and thats why i don't like to hear about them. coxz seriously i don't give a **** and i know they don't give either, so why just waste time on something this useless.

gustavofring

I think it's an Input-Output kind of deal. When you show interest in people, they will show interest in you. It's part of the "social play" as I call it, I'm sure there's some official sociological term for it. Most people probably don't really give a damn, but they play the game because of feeling part of something, sharing things and feeling accepted. In the long run, probably 90 % of conversation is quite useless, but the communication itself is a valuable part of human interaction.

Maybe be more accepting and try to quit having a pre-set view as if it's all shallow bull****. Sometimes you can get good conversations with others. Be playful and try to see a challenge in it, to get something more out of someone then the regular predictable nonsense.

this_portrait

when was the last time any of you gave an honest response to "how are you?"?
personally I typicaly automatically respond with the default "I am fine" without thinking.

Hah, God forbid I answer the question honestly to people. I'd be a downer then, and nobody likes a downer. Apparently (at least here in the States) we're all supposed to be happy all the time and not radiate any sort of negativity. :thumbdown:

I don't recall ever answering the question "How are you?" honestly, unless I'm on here or talking to someone I know won't get all pissy about my "negative attitude." I'd like to try answering it honestly, just as an experiment.

BlueWeepingRose

I never really ask about a person's life unless they tell me so themselves. I'm a really laid back person and I know if I was put on the spot I'd be very nervous. Small talk is something I avoid as well though, I hate small talk. When I talk to people or ask them anything it's cause I'm really interesting and want to know more about them. Only thing is not many people ask about my opinions or thoughts, it gets really confusing sometimes. I love connecting with people, but most people don't really have much to say and that makes things awkward for me, I'm the type of person who loves deep conversations vs. small talk any day.

Esperance

I'm probably the only one who loves ( well, I hoped I could^^ ) to care about others people. Maybe this is because of my lack of confidence or anything but I just have a need to know about the fact that they are happy. You know, being ok, having a girlfriend and everything like that. I just like it when I know the other are sincerely happy ( except for people like bullies ), it have a beautiful feeling