Jury Duty

Predacon

I just got a letter for Jury Duty in the mail. While I'm not overly concerned, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous. I wondered how many others have done it and how they found it.

mikestar

Banned
that would be my worst nightmare as you have to attend unless you have a medical reason or you got criminal record. Not fair

Predacon

Well as long as no one expects me to be foreman or anything like that. I should be able to handle it.

rand0m_guy

If you feel like you can't hack it just return the letter saying something like 'I have social anxiety/agoraphobia and therefore will not be attending'. Any more comebacks after that then just get a doctors note. It's not difficult to get out of.

Don't worry no-one will expect you to be foreman either, the more assertive folk present will put their hands up pretty quickly for that role.

I'd actually like to do it; reckon it'd be pretty cool. :)

Angry E

that would be my worst nightmare as you have to attend unless you have a medical reason or you got criminal record. Not fair

This is a true story (I live in PA)...I was sent the jury duty request form, and I wrote on the slip that they ask you to mail back.."I have Anxiety issues" and they sent me a form saying I was "excused from jury duty"...i didn't need proof or anything. I don't know if it someone who was checking the slips, just was being lazy or what, but it can't hurt to try that.

*Edit* Ok so I just realized your in England...I duno how strict it is there...If they don't let you off without medical proof of something, it can't be that bad if you just ignore the letter and pretend you never got it.

Last edited:

ajo86

Even the though of been called for Jury Service makes me feel sick :( I worry a lot about this I hope I never have to do it. I don't know what I would do.

music10

I'm just curious but if your social anxiety was very debilitating then couldn't you get a note from a psychiatrist and not be forced to do it. Or is that just out of the question.

FOR REAL

Banned
if you dont want to go, throw in the bucket (alongside all those debt collectors letters!!)

then if someone rings your doorbell, without phoning you first just ignore it.

DASwife

I don't think that you would have to do it if you wrote a letter saying you had social anxiety. I think they are a lot more people they can request to, instead of dragging a social phobic out to serve jury duty lol.

Personally I would be so scared, I don't think I would be able to do it. Kudos if you actually go through with it!

Moonie

I was called in to jury duty. There was a room of about 50 of us or so (maybe more). We all got a questionnaire we had to fill out beforehand.

One of the questions said, "Would you be more likely to trust a police officer's word?" Well, I checked yes. But, later erased it and circled 'no.'

When we finished, we all had to go into another room to hear more about the case. Then, the lawyers called certain people up one by one to ask them further questions (I suppose things they wanted clarified from the questionnaire.) They called me up, and asked whether I meant 'yes' or 'no' for that question. I was just like, "I meant 'no.' I accidently circled 'yes.'

So, in the end they finally chose their jury. It was weird because everyone they picked were youngish women in my age bracket. I am pretty sure I was the youngest person dismissed from being part of the jury. I didn't care, though. I was happy to be relieved.

So, yeah, you can always pull something like that. But, I agree with the others. If youare really too anxious, mail back the letter and say so.

Predacon

Cheers thanks for all the replies. Like I said I'm nervous about going, but I figure it'll be a good chance to get out of my comfort zone and do something different.

I went not too long ago to jury duty. Bring something to keep yourself distracted; homework if you're a student, a phone, a laptop, a magazine, a book, a journal (though if you're like me you'll be too shy to pull out something as clunky as a laptop and too shy to pull out something as revealing about your personality as a magazine or book). Sit against a wall if the chairs are in rows, not around other people, so you at least won't have someone on both sides of you. If it helps, just tell yourself that jury duty is something we all have to go through, even with social phobia, depression, etc, and you have a supporting network here. Good luck!

N04h

you should go, chances are that you won't get chosen to be in the jury anyway and you get paid a bit .

WastedPotential

went last year, didn't make the cut. got twenty bucks out of it so whatever.

just arrive early and pick the seat farthest away/wherever you feel comfortable.

like noah said, chances are you prolly won't get chosen, so don't sweat it.

hell i wish i had got chosen, even if i was getting nervous..

Predacon

I went not too long ago to jury duty. Bring something to keep yourself distracted; homework if you're a student, a phone, a laptop, a magazine, a book, a journal (though if you're like me you'll be too shy to pull out something as clunky as a laptop and too shy to pull out something as revealing about your personality as a magazine or book). Sit against a wall if the chairs are in rows, not around other people, so you at least won't have someone on both sides of you. If it helps, just tell yourself that jury duty is something we all have to go through, even with social phobia, depression, etc, and you have a supporting network here. Good luck!

Cheers good advice. I was planning to taking a book or a newspaper to read something like that.

PhantomPod

I went a few months ago. It wasn't too bad. There were maybe 15-20 of us there and they didn't end up needing any of us jurors to hear any of the cases. I brought a book and read pretty much the whole time.

There was a big table in the middle of the room, with chairs all around it, and then more chairs along the walls of the room. At first I sat in a chair along the wall and just read my book quietly. But after our break I had food, so I sat at the table, and there was some small talk that I managed with a few older women.

All in all it wasn't too bad. I mean, you could definitely get out of it if you really wanted to, by just writing a letter explaining that you have social phobia. I actually recall the cop who was in charge of us mentioning how some people could get out of it, and I specifically remembering him mentioning a woman who wrote a letter saying her anxiety was too bad (he wasn't mocking her when he told us or anything, he just randomly seemed to tell us).

Tiercel

Yeah, I have to go in August. Too bad I already read that Waffen-SS memoir I bought a little while ago. I don't mind going for a day, but I don't think I could handle being on a trial jury.

Predacon

Hi, well I did my jury service this week and it was a lot easier then I was expecting. I only had to go in for two days and I never got selected for any juries anyway. I just spent my time reading. About the only bad thing is that they really crowd you into the waiting room, which is not good if you want a little personal space. Overall I would would say it's a good way to get out of your comfort zone for a little while.