Job mix up need advice

Etbow23

Okay, I come here today because everyone on here probably has the same issues with anxiety as I do and no one in my life quite understands my obsessions because they don't deal with anxiety. Meaning I'm probably obsessing over this too much but I can't help it. This is long but please read and I swear I'll be extra nice to you on your posts :))

I deal with SA but I also have a problem with excessive worrying/general anxiety.
So for the past 9 months I've worked at Target and have grown to hate the job but love some of the co-workers there. Which is weird because in the past I've had problems connecting to people. But I've made connections there. Also, they've been flexible with my changing availability (I'm a student).

But I noticed it would stress me out a lot (customers and other rubbish) and desperate for a change, I mentioned it to this old friend of mine who told me her job at this woman's clothing store is hiring. So I applied, and they basically hired me there because they were so desperate for someone. I put my two weeks at Target and worked my last day there yesterday, and it was kind of sad for me I hugged three of my co workers goodbye that I would miss.

Today I worked my fourth day there at the other place. I like the store manager and one of the assistant managers, but cannot stand the other assistant manager. She is very strange. I am very sensitive and get a lot of anxiety if someone's kind of rude with me. Like for example she told me "I'm not letting you on the registers if you're going to not ask for people to openthe [store] credit cards". And I was like I have been! (I was!) and she was like "I haven't heard you". Well later in the day when she left I did get one and almost got a second but the customer didn't have a social security number so they couldn't. But she was being extremely pushy about the damned cards. I can't deal with that.

Then I accidentially left a door under the counter ajar and she hit her shin on it and blamed me in front of two customers saying "why did you leave it open you don't have to do that" then later joked she was going to call her lawyer on me.

At Target we get tons of breaks but at this small place, it's kind of luck of the draw if you know what I mean. And you can't wear sneakers so I came home with my feet aching like hell from the flats I was wearing. Also Target pays 50 cents more per hour but the hours vary more.

The new place has easier customers, a more regular schedule, and a less hectic atmosphere, but I can't stand to work at a place where I don't like one of the co-workers because they're mean with me.

And other stuff about her mannerisms. Like she called me over and I came to face her across the counter and she said "come around the counter, please" very sternly and showed me I had mis-punches on the computer. She said I hadn't clocked out but I had-the problem was simply that I had clocked in twice by accident. Needless to say, her mannerisms are weird.

I can't take this. In the next couple months I need flexibility because I'm visiting a college out of state next month, may get married and am probably gna transfer schools (quit this job or any) and move out state in fall. Target I know will be somewhat flexible with that. This store is so small I know they probably can't do that.

I called Target today and asked if I could come back and the manger said i probably could but i need to call back because she has to talk to HR and the other manager who is charge of my department. I would be calling back on Monday.. I hope the somewhat negative comments about my scheduling I put on my two week notice suggestion box won't affect this decision..

So if I go back to Target what should I tell the other place? Should I work the schedule they gave me and give "notice" even though I've only been there a week?

Last edited:

DeadmanWalking

Well, for starters, congrats on your plans to get married and I hope all the best for you:)!

As for what you should do, well, if you like working at Target, then I say you should do it. You can't please everyone, so do what you want to do because no one else there at that job will bear the responsibility of your actions. This is your story; write it as you choose. It may sound kinda selfish, but your happiness should always come first.

Etbow23

Well, for starters, congrats on your plans to get married and I hope all the best for you:)!

As for what you should do, well, if you like working at Target, then I say you should do it. You can't please everyone, so do what you want to do because no one else there at that job will bear the responsibility of your actions. This is your story; write it as you choose. It may sound kinda selfish, but your happiness should always come first.

You're right that it's my choice and I need to do what makes me happy. I hope Target will say yes. I guess my dilemma is I don't want to be rude with the store manager at this place. My friend works there and probably would leave a bad impression or something. Eh I dn't know :/ If I go back to Target do you think I should tell the manager at this store that it just wasn't a good fit and Target pays more?

MikeyC

Sounds like a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't."

If you feel like going back to Target is the correct decision, then you should do it and give this new place the minimum required time for leaving. You've got some big events coming up, like your wedding (congratulations!), so you've got to look ahead and try to find out which job will be best suited to you.

Having mean co-workers and/or bosses are just something everyone has to deal with. You're not alone in that boat and even when you go back to Target you'll have to face that again. It's just how it is in the working world whether we like it or not.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. I'm sure you'll do your own research on what you want and that's the smartest thing you can do. Of course, you'll never know for sure if going back or staying is the right decision - sometimes we just have to risk it.

Etbow23

Sounds like a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't."

If you feel like going back to Target is the correct decision, then you should do it and give this new place the minimum required time for leaving. You've got some big events coming up, like your wedding (congratulations!), so you've got to look ahead and try to find out which job will be best suited to you.

Having mean co-workers and/or bosses are just something everyone has to deal with. You're not alone in that boat and even when you go back to Target you'll have to face that again. It's just how it is in the working world whether we like it or not.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. I'm sure you'll do your own research on what you want and that's the smartest thing you can do. Of course, you'll never know for sure if going back or staying is the right decision - sometimes we just have to risk it.

You're right about how dealing with managers/coworkers who are weird/mean is everywhere, but I guess at Target it's different because it's so big, you may not even see them for weeks or if you're working with them, there are other people working so it's not totally awkward.

Thank you for your encouragement...I hope I make the right decision. I think going back will be right for me.

MikeyC

You're right about how dealing with managers/coworkers who are weird/mean is everywhere, but I guess at Target it's different because it's so big, you may not even see them for weeks or if you're working with them, there are other people working so it's not totally awkward.

Thank you for your encouragement...I hope I make the right decision. I think going back will be right for me.
Not seeing bosses for weeks is a huge plus in my book. :)

If you feel going back is right, go for it. I'm sure the co-workers you liked would love to have you back there.

DeadmanWalking

I think you should just tell the store manager the truth. You've no reason to lie, after all, because you've done nothing wrong. Some people just have a change of heart and want to work elsewhere; it's not that uncommon. If you believe that your friend's reputation at the store will be at risk if you leave, then let the manager know that your friend had done nothing wrong and, if they want to blame anyone, then you'll be the one to take the blame. Or ask if your friend will be punished in some way. However, I believe that nothing will happen to your friend:), but you know best.

Etbow23

If you feel going back is right, go for it. I'm sure the co-workers you liked would love to have you back there.

Yeah :)

I think you should just tell the store manager the truth. You've no reason to lie, after all, because you've done nothing wrong. Some people just have a change of heart and want to work elsewhere; it's not that uncommon. If you believe that your friend's reputation at the store will be at risk if you leave, then let the manager know that your friend had done nothing wrong and, if they want to blame anyone, then you'll be the one to take the blame. Or ask if your friend will be punished in some way. However, I believe that nothing will happen to your friend:), but you know best.

You're right-honesty's the best policy I guess. I'm just worried about not only her reputation & whether they'll be totally mean to me now that I'm leaving. But oh well. It's just the way it goes. If they don't want to be left out on the limb they need to hire more people to be working so they have people to fall back on.

I think I will just tell her that it's not working out and that Target pays more and is more flexible, which is what I need.

Of course, I don't know for sure if Target will say yes, but I think they will as I left on good terms and was told I could come back.