Job interview

SCP-087-1

I require your opinions. Please help

I have a job interview next week.

First problem:
I was told by the nice lady on the phone to "dress in smart business attire". I have no idea what this means. A suit? dress pants, shirt and tie? I own one suit and it is black. I wore it once at a thing.

Next problem:
I have very scruffy hair. I can not afford a hair cut, not even to get them to to a basic cut. I have one of those hair cutting machines that makes a "Bshzshzshzshz" noise and cuts large amounts of hair off. However last time I tried to cut my hair it looked horrible and I don't think it would be wise to try again.

Attached is a picture of me. I tried to upload one I just took that focuses more on my hair and not my face but it didn't work so this will have to do. Just imagine my hair longer and scruffier.

How can I make it tidy? I have some hair gel that some misguided soul gave me once as a birthday present. I also have a comb.

picture.php

I have never attempted to style my hair before. I usually just cut it short.

I have googled "how to tidy hair male" and other variants but most of the guides assume I have money.

I once asked my girlfriend to cut my hair. It was worse than when I did it myself. I wore a hat for a long time. A patch of hair on the side of my head was missing.

Or could someone just do the interview for me while I stay at home and mess around on the internet?

worrywort

Hey there, congrats on the interview. What's the job you're going for?

"Smart business attire" sounds to me like a suit, shirt and tie, and black shoes, but it depends on the job. You might be ok to wear a smart jumper over your shirt and tie, instead of a blazer. I sometimes do that.

I don't think your hair looks that scruffy. It's neater than mine! Just neatening it a touch with your hands should be fine I'd say. I think the important thing to remember is that the interviewer just wants to know if you're going to be able to do the job well or not. Things like, being punctual and polite, calm and considerate, are a lot more important than a few stray hairs on your head. I'd say just focus on the practicalities and on assuring the interviewer of your competency to do the job, and try to shift the focus away from your own appearance, that would be my advice. You seem like a cool, everyday, normal, nice guy, so I don't think you need to worry about how you look. I'd hire you! :)

Hoppy

Comb your hair and it will be fine.

And overdressed is better than underdressed.

Go and have a look at effortlessgent.com for some style tips.

Good luck.