job interview tomorrow

spect01

I have a job interview tomorrow and I'm nervous as hell. It's for K-mart. I'm going for either the stock room position or anything else similar to that. Does anyone have any tips? some people say for crappy jobs they just ask what hours you are available and make you drug test and sign paperwork. Some say you go to a 2nd interview. Then there's all questions they ask. A woman is interviewing me and I don't know how well I can handle this. I have some work history, but no resume, I don't think I even need a resume since it's not such a big deal to get a job at a retail store but I'm not sure.

Anybody have similar experiences?

Silatuyok

I wouldn't worry about not having a resume. Just smile, make eye contact, and act enthusiastic. (So easy, right?)

Job interviews terrify the beep out of me :(
The best way to calm some of the nerves I find is to imagine all of the questions they could possibly ask and have the answers memorized.
In the country I live in you can't even get a job driving a garbage truck without a Resume.
It might help them to believe you are really keen to get the job if you have one imo.

razzle dazzle rose

You could make a resume really quickly just in case. It is better to be prepared for these things. There are a lot of helpful guides online on how to make one.

Interviews scare me too. I don't think anyone enjoys them, but I take that to a whole other level. I always just wanna walk out the room in the middle of them. That is why I never get the job :(

I have worked retail, so what I suggest is focusing your answers on the importance of good customer service, they love that. Oh, and being a team player. If they are gonna ask you questions, take a moment to pause and think about your answer before answering.

Sending you good luck vibes!!

coyote

the main thing is to appear enthusiastic and willing to work

they're not looking for a rocket scientist with an MBA

they'll train you to do what they want you to do

but you can't train someone to WANT to work

YOU have to bring that - that's what they'll be looking for

B

Beatrice

I don't have trouble with interviews.... I think I'm on the wrong site, haha. No, I'm kidding, but........

Practice in front of the mirror, do as Bluedays said and memorize the questions and what your response would be. Maybe try filming yourself answering the questions.

Oh, and DON'T drink alcohol to calm your nerves (joke) :p

WeirdyMcGee

I was interviewed by McDonalds and Walmart (multiple times)and didn't get hired.
haha
So, sure-- crappy jobs don't require you to do much but you have to go in with the right attitude.
I was told by most places I've applied for that I'm overqualified... which is strange because I'm not even a college graduate.

They always say; "Don't dress for the job you have-- dress for the job you want." < or something similar... which basically means, dress professionally.
You won't need a suit but dark pants and a shirt with a collar would be best.
Look clean, look awake, be sober, sit up tall.

If it's your first job, it's more than okay to be nervous-- but try to be positive and act excited and ready to work (even if you're actually quite apprehensive about it)
They usually ask questions like;
"What would you do in a scenario where a customer is complaining to you?"
"Why do you want to work for our company?"
And other things you'd normally just shrug at--- but be prepared to be enthusiastic about your answer.

Good luck!
You'll do fine!

Last edited:

TheRadicalAnxiousLefty

I'm going for a trial day at a car detailing business tomorrow. It does not help that I have been going through a depressive phase at the moment; now I am worried about all the young people I will meet, and how much better I will think they are than me. I imagine that I will feel lonely, scared, and wishing that I want to go home every hour and every second of the day. Most of the blokes there will be rugged individual, blue-collar, gruff types who all love cars (I don't know a thing about them), cricket, and whinging about problems with the missus. All topics which I am totally at odds with and am not keen on at all.

Worse yet, I will be competing for a spot. There are about 3 or 4 of us all vying for two full time positions. That will increase the pressure on me, as well as compound my depressive state of mind. Jesus I hate that. Because my self-esteem is so shockingly low, I will automatically assume that I don't have a chance, and that if I do get the spot, it is only because I got lucky, and that the manager made a mistake.

God ****ing damn all of this **** is hard to deal with right now.

spect01

Thanks everyone. I went to the interview and it went pretty well. They didn't really ask me much except "tell me about yourself" and "why do you want to work here". I made sure I made eye contact and didn't stumble over my words. I'm sure they could tell I was nervous. I met with the interview person and the manager of the store. The manager seemed a tad bit dissapointed that I had no experience in retail but the last job I had was very similar. Interviews are tough for people like me though. Now I have to follow up within 1 week and I'll know if I'm hired. I really hope I get it.

Last edited: