It is (not) all about CHRISTMAS! ;)

LA-girl

First I would like to post a music video from a cartoon called "The Snowman" one of my best x-mas childhood memories! :D

The Snowman

9444.jpeg

The Snowman is a children's book by British author Raymond Briggs, published in 1978. In 1982, this book was turned into an animated movie by Dianne Jackson for the fledgling Channel 4. The film was nominated for an Oscar for Best Animated Short in 1983.
The book and film have no words, instead telling the story through picture, action and music. This adds to their charm, as well as making them easy to publish in other languages.

The film's one song, "Walking in the Air," was written specially for it and performed by a St Paul's Cathedral choirboy, Peter Auty. The song was released as a single, reaching number 5 in the UK charts, sung by Welsh chorister Aled Jones.

snowman2gr.jpg

LA-girl

I can not imagine Christmas without this song...

When you Wish Upon a Star

(Click title to listen)

Writer: Leigh Harline; Lyrics: Ned Washington

When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires will come to you

If your heart is in your dreams, no request is too extreme
When you wish upon a star as dreamers do

(Fate is kind, she brings to those who love
The sweet fulfillment of their secret longing)

Like a bolt out of the blue, fate steps in and sees you thru
When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true

jiminy.jpg

LA-girl

dzerklis said:
i have lost the magic feeling of christmas :(

I hope it is not due to this thread??! :lol:

Seriously though, I know what you're talking about. It was lost for my part too for several years...But somehow it came back to me a couple of years ago, although it will never be the same as when we were kids. But it is a nice season i.m.o. :)

LA-girl

Here are a couple of songs for those who have lost their christmas spirit and those who might find this whole season a bit depressing... (as if it was very likely for you to check out this thread in the first place...):wink:

The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale of New York

Elvis Presley - Blue Christmas

I Hate Christmas - from Christmas Eve on Sesame Street

Faith Hill -Where are you Christmas

pc0128.jpg

Sick of the Holidays
Signs You're Sick of the Holidays

8. You've got red and green bags under your eyes

7. You're serving reindeer pot pie

6. When you hear, "Sleigh bells ring, are you listenin'?," you scream, "No! I'm not listening!"

5. You climb on your roof and start shooting carolers with your air gun

4. You think you hear your Christmas tree taunting you.

3. Instead of spending time with family, you're watching some guy make photo copies

2. You've got eggnog coming out of your ears

1. Two words: tinsel rash

LA-girl

I just found this Twin Peaks parody for '12 days of Christmas' and it gave me a big laugh! What makes it even funnier is that it seems to be the real actors who are singing!

You can download it here:

"The 12 Days Of Christmas" - Twin Peaks parody

* Here is also a Youtube-clip from the TWIN PEAKS INTRO.
I love this music!
love0031.gif

* TWIN PEAKS TRAILER

* The first and one of the most classic scenes where Pete Marshell finds the body of Laura Palmer wrapped in plastic and the policeman Andy starts crying... "Wrapped in Plastic

* Agent Cooper when he takes his first bite of the famous RR's Huckleberry pie:
"This must be where pies go when they die!"

redroom.jpg

dzerklis

LA-girl said:
dzerklis said:
i have lost the magic feeling of christmas :(

I hope it is not due to this thread??! :lol:

hehe:) no, its because my birthday is on december 24th and its becoming more and more depressing with each year,thanks to SP..

LA-girl

reindeer_revenge.jpg

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer :lol:

A Russian couple was walking down the street in St. Petersburg the other night, when the man felt a drop hit his nose. "I think it's raining," he said to his wife.

"No, that felt more like snow to me," she replied. "No, I'm sure it was just rain, he said." Well, as these things go, they were about to have a major argument about whether it was raining or snowing. Just then they saw a minor communist party official walking toward them. "Let's not fight about it," the man said, "let's ask Comrade Rudolph whether it's officially raining or snowing."

As the official approached, the man said, "Tell us, Comrade Rudolph, is it officially raining or snowing?"

"It's raining, of course," he answered and walked on. But the woman insisted: "I know that felt like snow!" To which the man quietly replied: "Rudolph the Red knows rain, dear!"

santasec.jpg

The Italian Santa!

mikebird

Banned
Anyone seen the Twin Peaks, series 2, episodes 20 around then?

Never seen any of this recently, and nothing to do with Xmas - I just discovered some of these - the B&W zigzag striped floor with red curtains? Didn't expect it - thought it was basic industrial drama in the trees, at diners.

This got me going! The little dwarf with the strange head - people appearing and disappearing. People appear in the lobby, baring teeth, running to bite. The sound is muted, with subtitles to show that the main character can't hear what they're saying. We, the audience, read it. There is shocking strobe lighting. The screaming sound. Seems to mean a panic attack.

Anyway. I've been having selective hearing throughout my life. It's become paramount to my social issues; I'm trying to explain this in my Audiology clinics, and in community interview workshops. I listen to people on the phone and face-to-face and seriously cannot make anything of what they say. Not muted as in Twin Peaks - psychological entertainment.

I get this in real life. Busy bar with loud music is a standard way you can't hear. I speak, unable if they can hear me. These strobes and muted voice makes me think of all the direct interviews which trigger my subtle panic attacks - sweating, shuddering and losing it. I hear vocal sounds, but it sounds like a foreign language, while I do hear English, but my brain translates is as meaningless mumble. 'bbbllleeeeeuughghghhhgh...'' What can I do? It's a one-way street.

Just recently, met a friend's mum at her house. Late 70s. Oxygen tubes, walking stick. I'm pleasant. I say 'hi' and give a peck on the cheek before and after. That's tough enough in itself. Struggling to hear a word of her mumbles. I do my best to respond. I come up with any topic. I certainly get some good smiles and giggles out of that.

Meeting strangers - interviewing with people who hold my future in their hands. I collapse (inside my head) and put on a front. Pleasantries. What is this? ... people eating their lunch on the phone? People got trouble with their tongue... 'cat got it?' Lips? False teeth? Vocal chords? Are they drunk? Too stupid to articulate? I speak clear, perfect, crisp Queen's English. I never, ever say 'uuhhhmmmmmmm', 'uuuuuugggghhhhhmmmm'. Sly Stallone sluurr?

Is it them? Is it me? I've read books on this. 'Understanding what we understand'...

Anyone else feel this confusion? I mostly get into a loop of accusing others. It's hard to avoid that, and take the loving approach. I hear scrambled eggs pouring out of their mouths into my ears.

The sound in Twin Towns in these episodes is obviously manufactured by editing - along with the strobing flashes - I know the triggers used with audio & visual mixers... it's made to sound like a sound glitch of a mobile phone with poor transmission & reception. It goes for face-to-face situations for me

Last edited:

dean01

@ mikebird err no cant relate to your confusion mate, read a few of your posts and have alot of trouble understanding any of them. do you see a doctor?

mikebird

Banned
Thanks.

Audiology (hospital clinic) may be getting to the root cause of this; my third session of the year, next week.

Countless hearing test organisations have verified that I have perfect 100% hearing ability and I've known that all my life. I am an audiophile.

I'm sure my understanding of people's speech is social and a psychological failing. I understand dogs that bark and cats that meeooww, perfectly. People who speak to me come from a different world, and have no idea what I say. When it comes down to an interview, I walk in with little hope. If I attended with a house brick in a bag, it might be the most informative and meaningful way to communicate with them, by launching it into their face, and then out of the office window.

I do my best to answer their greetings of 'bleeeuuurrggghhhh' with a brisk 'Yay! OK!? :thumbup:

I response, I immediately get :idontknow:

Stephen Hawking may not be able to speak to me. I'd rather have a chat with him than the people I have to deal with

Last edited:

dean01

@mikebird arr ok it makes more sense now thanks for explaining. dont think the brick idea will work thou.