Isolation

Jessie_0

I know I'm more introverted than extraverted, and for me, socializing is an acquired taste (as silly as it sounds).

In school years, when I was forced to spend hours around people every day, my social anxiety was in check. Afterwards, when I found myself spending days isolated at home, with few reasons to go "out there"... it kept getting worse and worse. So in a way, isolation makes it worse. :/

I think isolation being a possible cause of mental illness depends on the individual. Some people have nerves of steel that can handle long periods of isolation while others do not. Just my opinion.

Quirk87

Banned
There are lot's of different factors that can cause mental illness. I would not say isolation is the primary cause.
Everyone is different - everybody is wired in a different way, with different variables having different consequences. Most of us are social animals and require agency and affiliation with others, but how much is entirely dependent on the individual. To me it would seem most of us would find it difficult to fit in with those we do not like or identify with very well.